Skip to Content

San Luis Obispo County, California

 > County of San Luis Obispo > District Attorney > Economic Crime > Small Claims Court Advisory

Small Claims Court Advisory

About the Program

Each county in California is mandated by law to provide individual assistance and advice to small claims court litigants at no cost. The Small Claims Court Advisory in San Luis Obispo County is part of the District Attorney’s Economic Crime Unit. Those persons seeking small claims advice can either contact the advisory by telephone at (805) 781-5856 or see the advisor during the following office hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to Noon.  No appointment is necessary. The advisory is located at the County Courthouse Annex, 1050 Monterey Street, Room 223, in San Luis Obispo.

The advisor assists parties in completing small claims forms, answering procedural questions, and identifying legal resources and publications. The advisor may be offering advice to both plaintiff and defendant on the same claim. The advisor is not an attorney and cannot provide you with legal advice about your claim.  The advisor may only discuss issues relating to small claims court. The advisory does not assist with evictions. You should seek the advice of a private attorney on landlord and tenant issues and/or consult the Department of Consumer Affairs web site at .

Mediation is a process for resolving disputes informally.   A third party - a mediator - helps the parties arrive at their own solution.  You may decide to use mediation prior to filing in Small Claims Court.   Mediation is also available on the day of the small claims court hearing.  If you have questions regarding mediation, contact Creative Mediation at (805) 549-0442.

If you live outside San Luis Obispo County and are filing a claim or being sued here, you have an advisor available to you at no cost in your county. Contact the Small Claims Court in your county to find out how you can meet with or talk to an advisor locally or visit the self-help legal center at and link to your county’s small claims advisory site.