County Social Media Comment Policy and Posting Guidelines
The County of San Luis Obispo government encourages public participation on its social media pages, but the pages are monitored and all comments are reviewed. Although the County does not assume responsibility for public comments posted on this page, when a comment appears to violate this policy and/or the respective social network's community standards and rules, it will be removed and the account under which it was posted may be reported to authorities and/or the social network. The account may also be banned from posting again on the County's social media page. (See The Twitter Rules and Facebook Community Standards).
If you have an emergency, please call 9-1-1 or contact the emergency office nearest you. Please do not use the County's social media pages to report an emergency or issue regarding immediate attention.
The content of this forum, including your comments, may be subject to the California Public Records Act and may be retained as public record.
To ensure exchanges that are productive, informative, respectful of diverse viewpoints and lawful, we will review all comments and we will remove comments that are or include:
- Inappropriate or Off-Topic Comments: We will exclude comments not related to the subject of the conversation. We will also exclude comments that are inappropriate for a general audience.
- Spam, Campaigning, Solicitation and Links: Solicitations/advertisements are not allowed and will be removed from the County's social media pages. The appearance of external links or advertisements on this site does not constitute official endorsement. However, comments that include links may be removed at any time. Comments focused on selling a product or service, or comments posted for a purpose of driving traffic to a website for personal, political, or monetary gain, will be excluded. We may also remove comments that promote or oppose any person campaigning for election to a political office or that promote or oppose any ballot measure.
- Misinformation, Personal Attacks, or Bullying: We remain committed to supporting the inclusion of diverse views. The County’s social media pages are a public forum and, as such, we believe it is important to protect the rights of people who engage in public discourse on this page. This means that you may encounter opinions that differ from yours, which can lead to important conversations about difficult topics. However, it is important to behave respectfully toward others. The County will remove comments that appear to misinform, provide false or inaccurate information, personally attack, disrespect or bully others; include hate speech; and/or appear to glorify or celebrate violence rather than raise awareness about it.
- Deception, Defamation, Fraud or Discrimination: We will remove comments that appear to deceive or mislead others, defame an individual or group or defraud any individual, financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. We will also remove comments that promote, foster, or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.
- Illegal: Comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity are not allowed and will be removed.
- Offensive or Demeaning Language: Comments including, but not limited to, graphic, obscene, explicit, abusive, or demeaning language or images will be excluded. This includes creative spellings of swear words.
- Private or Confidential Information: You participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information provided. Please do not provide any specific personal information about yourself or other individuals.
Social Media pages are not intended to be used for addressing complaints, or any other requests. If you wish to correspond on any of these subjects, please contact the appropriate department. If you have an idea for a subject, would like to provide feedback, or would like follow-up from us, please contact the department.