Public Pool / Public Spa Construction
What is this service?
This service allows you to apply for a permit to construct or modify a Public Pool or Spa within San Luis Obispo County.
Please note, additional permitting may be required by the local city or county jurisdiction Planning and Building Department.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all businesses wishing to begin construction or modification of a public pool or spa within the County of San Luis Obispo.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.
What is the process?
Step 1: Review Construction Requirements
Step 2: Submit Required Items
Submit the following:
- A completed application for a pool/spa construction or renovation permit (as applicable).
- A completed plan check sheet
- Three (3) copies of plans drawn to scale and with the scale indicated,
- Equipment specification sheets and other information documents that will ensure compliance with equipment/construction requirements.
Step 4: Await response from inspector
Plans must be approved prior to beginning construction. The inspector reviewing the plan will contact you with any additional information or forms that may be required, revisions needed, or when your plan is approved.
Step 5: Schedule Inspections
Several inspections are required during Public Pool and/or Spa construction. Failure to schedule all required inspections may result in costly corrections and an overall delay in receiving final approval to begin use of the Public Pool and/or Spa.
- Pre-gunnite inspection
- Approval must be granted following a pre-gunnite inspection prior to continuing construction.
- Pre-plaster inspection
- Approval must be granted following a pre-plaster inspection prior to continuing construction.
- Opening inspection
- Approval must be granted following an opening inspection prior to beginning use of the Public Pool and/or Spa.
Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule the inspections.
Step 6: Await Inspector Approval to Begin Use
It is unlawful to begin use of a new or remodeled Public Pool and/or Spa without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.
The inspector will grant approval to begin use upon completion of construction and opening inspections.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Environmental Health Division
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211