Building Code Information
The County of San Luis Obispo's Building Code can be found in Title 19 of the County Code.
California Building Standards Codes
The latest series of Building Standards Codes adopted by the state of California became effective on January 1, 2017. All construction permit applications submitted on or after January 1, 2017 are required to comply with these codes:
- California Residential Code (2016)
- California Plumbing Code (2015 UPC)
- California Mechanical Code (2015 UMC)
- California Electrical Code (2014 NEC)
- California Energy Code (2016)
- California Green Building Code (2016)
- California Fire Code (2015 IFC)
- California Reference Standards Code (2016)
Please note that the above codes and references are the minimum standards required for design and construction. Additional codes, references, reports and other State or Local laws may be applicable depending on the project design requirements and local conditions.
Copies of the California Building Standards Codes can be downloaded (free) or accessed via a digital service (requires paid subscription).
General information regarding the code development and adoption process may be found on the California Building Standards Commission website.