Retrofit-on-Sale Plumbing Verification

Who can use this service?

Anyone selling a home in the Los Osos Groundwater Basin area or Nipomo Mesa Water Conservation Area is subject to the requirements of the Retrofit-on-Sale Program.

Is there a charge for this service?

The seller is responsible for the costs of any fixtures that need to be replaced prior to sale of the home.

What is the process?

Step 1: Submit Title 8: Retrofit Verification Form

Prior to transfer of title, a Title 8: Retrofit Verification Form must be submitted to the Department of Planning and Building. Part 1 and 2 must be filled out correctly for the retrofit certificate to be issued.

Homes built after January 1, 1994 are known to have 1.6 or less gpf toilets.  Sellers of these homes may choose to submit a title report to verify the age of the home in lieu of submitting a Retrofit Verification Form.

Step 2: Check Fixtures

Please check the following: 

  • All retrofitted toilets greater than 1.6 gpf must be retrofitted to a flow rate of 1.28 gpf or less and all showerheads greater than 2.5 gpm must be retrofitted to showerheads with a flow flow rate of 2.0 gpm or less.  
  • Circle whether a faucet aerator is present on each of the sinks and the respective flow rate. If a faucet aerator is not present or over 1gpm, replace and state the new flow rate.
  • If a property contains more than 2 bathrooms, a second Retrofit Verification Form must be submitted with the flow rates of the fixtures for each additional bathroom.

Step 3: Have Either a Licensed Plumber or Home Inspector Sign

The Title 8: Retrofit Verification Form must be completed and signed by either a licensed plumber or a licensed home inspector.

Step 4: Submit Form

The form must be submitted to: The department will approve the information and provide the Seller or Agent, via email, with a Title 8: Retrofit Certificate.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Property Information

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN) or address.

Launch Application

Customer Service Survey

Let us know how we're doing! Please provide your opinions and comments by completing our brief Department of Planning & Building customer survey.

Take the Survey