A Parking Management Plan for the Port San Luis was commissioned by the Port San Luis Harbor District and includes the Harbor/Pier area along with Avila Beach Drive between the Harbor and San Luis Street as well as the Town of Avila. The study will provide a framework strategy for the District that responds to the following goals:
- Provide adequate, convenient and available parking for fishermen, customers, employees, beachgoers and visitors at the harbor.
- Provide adequate, convenient and available parking for customers, employees, beachgoers and visitors in Avila Beach.
- Address potential spillover parking into adjacent residential neighborhoods.
- Plan for increased use of transit and other alternative means of transportation.
The Harbor District’s expressed purpose of the Parking Management Plan is to:
- Determine whether there is a current or projected shortage of parking, and if so, to what extent;
- Formulate alternatives for addressing parking needs, supply and demand utilization strategies;
- Educate the community on the cost of parking;
- Establish short and long term strategies for parking management: and
- Develop a parking management plan for efficiently and effectively utilizing parking resources in a small coastal community where land values are at a premium.