Commercially Sexually Exploited Youth Services
What is this service?
Services and support are provided to commercially sexually exploited children and their families to help them heal and recover in a protective environment.
This service also provides education and awareness to at-risk children and connects them with services and support before victimization occurs.
The CSEC Collaborative Response Team of San Luis Obispo County responds to reports of commercial sexual exploitation of children in San Luis Obispo County. For more information about our response team please review our CSEC Brochure.
The County CSEC protocol for the handling of suspected instances of commercial sexual exploitation of children provides the basis for response and the pertinent policy and procedures in San Luis Obispo County.
Who can use this service?
The following are able to use this service:
- Children at risk of commercial sexual exploitation
- Commercially sexually exploited children
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
Responses to reports are 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Services are available throughout San Luis Obispo County.
Sexual exploitation of children occurs in all types of communities and is particularly prevalent with foster children who run away from their caregivers. 1 in 3 teens will be recruited by a sexual trafficker within 48 to 72 hours of running away from home, so be on the alert for any signs that a child is subject to sexual exploitation.
To make a report of suspected commercial sexual exploitation, please call (805) 781-KIDS or complete a Suspected Child Abuse Report (SCAR) and fax it to (805) 781-1803.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Morro Bay Social Services
600 Quintana Road Morro Bay , CA 93442
Tel: (805) 772-6405
Fax: (805) 772-6409
SLO Social Services- Higuera
3433 South Higuera San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
1086 East Grand Avenue Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
681 West Tefft Street Suite 1 Nipomo, CA 93444
Atascadero Social Services
9415 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422
Paso Robles Social Services
406 Spring Street Paso Robles, CA 93446
Frequently Asked Questions
What is commercial sexual exploitation of children?
Commercial sexual exploitation of children is sexual activity involving sex in exchange for something of value, or promise thereof, to the child or another person or persons. The child is treated as commercial and sexual property.
What are general indicators of commercial sexual exploitation?
The general indicators of commercial sexual exploitation are:
- Unexplained absences from school for an extensive period of time
- Chronically running away from home or placement with no explanation to their whereabouts
- Makes reference to frequent travel to other cities or states
- Change in behavior, attire, or material possessions
- Makes reference to an older boyfriend/ girlfriend
- Uses terminology of the commercial sex industry
What are some red flags to look for?
Some red flags to be aware of in reference to commercial sexual exploitation are:
- A change in physical appearance
- Frequent truancy from school and/or unexplained absences from home or placement
- Involved with a male who is older, controlling, has a street name, and gives them cash
- Loss of interest in age appropriate activities
- Disconnection from family and or other caregivers
- Interest in pornography or other parts of the sex industry