Skip to Content

San Luis Obispo County, California

Public Works
Wade Horton


County of San Luis Obispo Public Works Department
Receives Prestigious APWA Accreditation

976 Osos Street
Room 206
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
Map & Directions

Business Hours:
Monday through Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

(805) 781-5252


(805) 781-1229

Curb - Gutter and Sidewalk

Download In PDF Format Adobe Acrobat icon

Building Permit Information

Curb, Gutter, and Sidewalk Permit Provisions

Curb & Gutter and Road Improvement Project Security Handout

Required Signatures for CGSW Agreements & Bonds

Curb, Gutter and Road Improvement Agreement

Curb, Gutter Road Improvement Agreement-Private Engineer

Curb, Gutter and Road Improvement Bond-Letter of Credit

Curb, Gutter and Road Improvement Bond-Surety



The County's Land Use Ordinance requires concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk along the frontage of your property for most projects within the "Urban Reserve Line" when zoned Commercial (CR, CS), Office and Professional (OP), Industrial (IND), or Residential Multi-Family (RMF), unless otherwise provided in the Planning Area Standards. Two examples of these Planning Area Standards are:

  • Where Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk not required
    • On Moonstone Beach Drive in Cambria
  • Where Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk are required
    • In Oceano in all land use categories.These are just two examples.

Each project being unique, Public Works reviews them for, at least, zoning, Planning Area standards, conditions of approval, access (including the upgrading of existing curb, gutter and sidewalk to current Americans with Disabilities Act standards), utilities to be moved, traffic, driveway location, topography, surrounding uses, and roadway drainage. After an initial review you will receive additional Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk information specific to your project. If you are just getting started and want to know what requirements to anticipate, please contact the Public Works Department (805/781-5252).

For Building Permits that are required to construct Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk on property frontage located on a County Road, the County is required to prepare the design. The current Curb and Gutter Design rate is (see fee list). Fees are subject to change on July 1 of each year. This fee includes the cost of design, staking, plan checking and inspection of the required road improvements. County Public Works Department will be responsible for designing the curb grades along your project frontage, field staking the design, and providing the owner with a Construction Handout Package that will include all necessary construction information.

For other Building Permits required to construct Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk on property frontage located on a private road or a state highway, you must hire a Registered Civil Engineer to prepare the design. A Registered Civil Engineer may also be required to prepare plans if the project is determined to require special design considerations (i.e. extensive road improvements due to size of project, like a subdivision). If the project requires plans to be prepared by a private engineer, the applicant will still need to pay the County a fee for checking and inspecting the proposed design and construction.

If any Public Utilities interfere with your project, information regarding their relocation can be obtained from the various utility companies, and the entire cost involved will be your responsibility. Required utility work may include, but is not limited to, the following: relocation of power poles, vaults, and meter boxes.

Prior to Public Works approval and subsequent issuance of a Building Permit, each applicant with a project that requires the construction of curb, gutter and sidewalk will be responsible to:

Pay the "Curb, Gutter and Sidewalk Permit Fee" payable to the County Public Works Department, which is calculated by the linear feet of property frontage multiplied by the Curb and Gutter Design rate at the time of payment. Check with the Public Works Department for your particular fee because fees are proportioned according to the amount of work required by this office (i.e, design, staking, and inspection or just checking and inspection).

Complete a "Curb, Gutter, Sidewalk and Road Improvement Agreement" and post a Performance Bond for the construction of these improvements. Upon design completion by this office we will provide you with the Bond amount.

Curb, Gutter, and Sidewalk Permit Provisions

Security (also referred to as "bonding") must be posted with curb and gutter and other road improvements associated with most land development projects, to ensure completion of the public improvements that are required as conditions of approval. Following approval of the improvement plans, we will provide an estimate of the cost of construction or review your Engineer’s Estimate for the cost of construction that is to be secured. Please note that the cost estimate must be based on unit costs that would be experienced if the County were to claim the bonds and construct the improvements under public agency contracting rules. Click here to see the types of security accepted by San Luis Obispo County.