Vital Record Information
The San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder maintains the Birth and Death records for events occurring in this county and the Marriage records for licenses issued in this county.
Vital records are not searchable on the Internet. The indices can be searched in both the San Luis Obispo and Atascadero offices. Any customer searching these records must first sign in with department staff. The index and certificates can be viewed at no fee.
Copies of vital records can be obtained by written request. Only authorized individuals can receive an authorized certified copy of a vital record. For records requested in person, a valid, photo identification must be presented. For those records ordered via mail or fax, the authorized individual must have their signature acknowledged by a notary public. Those who are not authorized by law to receive an authorized certified copy, do not need to have their signature acknowledged and will receive a certificate marked "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY." See the respective forms below for a list of authorized individuals and additional information.
The San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder provides certified copies of the following records:
If the birth occurred in San Luis Obispo County and the child has not been adopted or had a legal name change complete the Application for Certified Copy of Birth Record (pdf)
Birth certificates for adopted children or for those with a legal name change may only be available from the State Vital Records Office
If the death occurred in San Luis Obispo County complete the Application for Certified Copy of Death Record (pdf)
If the marriage license was issued in San Luis Obispo County, regardless of where the ceremony was performed complete Application for Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (pdf)
The fees associated with these copies are mandated by the State. Fee per copy can be found on the Fee Schedule (pdf)
or on the form.
How can I order a certified copy of a Vital Record?
There are three methods to order a copy of a vital record filed in San Luis Obispo County.
- In Person - Requests made in person at our San Luis Obispo or Atascadero location are completed while you wait, within about 10 to 15 minutes. You will be asked to present a valid photo identification for verification.
- By Mail - Send the completed, notarized form(s) along with a check or money order, made payable to SLO County Clerk-Recorder, in the required amount and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder
- 1055 Monterey Street, Room D120
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
- Fax - Send the completed, notarized form(s) to (805) 781-1111
- Email - Send the completed, notarized form(s) to email@example.com
- Credit Card Payments - (convenience fee $1.49) - Upon receipt of vitals request, you will be contacted by Clerk-Recorder Office requesting payment information.
Requests for vital record copies submitted by mail or using a credit card are completed and mailed by the next business day via the U. S. Postal Service. For rush requests, overnight delivery is provided for an additional fee dependent on the destination. If using a personal check or money order, contact the office for the overnight delivery fee.
Please visit the State Vital Records Office website for further information.