Skip to Content

San Luis Obispo County, California

 > County of San Luis Obispo > Emergencies > Chimney Fire Resources

Chimney Fire Resources

Contact Information: Important List of Phone Numbers

Don't know who to contact about your needs related to the Chimney Fire? The County has put together a list of contact information for a variety of County services related to this incident.  


Agriculture-related Damage

To report damage to agricultural crops, rangeland, livestock and fencing, or other infrastructure items on agricultural properties, please call the County's  Department of Agriculture at (805) 781-1556.

Ash and Debris Management

Ash from burned structures may be more hazardous than that of burned vegetation, due to the presence of synthetic or toxic materials stored in or used in the building of the structure. Lead, lead paint, and/or asbestos may have been used in the construction of older buildings. To ensure the safety of people and to protect the environment, care must be taken to control dust and containment of debris during clean up, storage, and transportation to a landfill. The following guidance is available to assist you in this process:

Child Support Payment Information

To replace child support payments lost in the fire or to change your address, contact County Child Support Services.

For General Assistance

A comprehensive post-fire recovery tool can be found online to help walk disaster survivors through a step-by-step recovery process . Other information related to assistance will be provided once the fires are contained and recovery and related needs are determined and the information will be released by and available from the County Office of Emergency Services.

Get Free Certified Copies of Vital Records

As a result of the Governor's Aug. 15 emergency proclamation for SLO County, copies of birth, death and marriage certificates will be provided free of charge to individuals who lost such records as a result of the fire. Fees will also be waived for dissolution of marriage records. Contact the County Clerk-Recorder's Office to get a replacement copy of such records.

Household Hazardous Waste

Common household hazardous wastes include computers and monitors, televisions, paints, solvents, cleaners and batteries. Special care should be exercised in handling damaged lead acid batteries found in motor vehicle, ATVs and carts, as batteries contain a powerful acid that can cause severe burns. Contractors working to restore property affected by wildfires have the same responsibilities for proper waste management under the law as the home and business owners.

Recovery and Financial Assistance

Anyone affected by the Chimney Fire could have a homeowner or renter insurance policy that provides what is known as additional living expense, or ALE, coverage. ALE coverage reimburses policyholders for expenses incurred as a result of mandatory evacuation or damage caused by smoke or fire, enabling consumers to focus their attention on recovery. It is important to note policyholders DO NOT need to experience any smoke or fire damage or destruction to collect ALE benefits. Disaster evacuations can create financial and emotional hardships. Wildfire victims are urged by the California Department of Insurance to contact their insurer to see if their policy covers additional living expenses associated with mandatory evacuation and recovery.

ALE coverage typically includes

  • food and housing costs
  • hotel or rental property expenses
  • furniture rental expenses
  • relocation costs
  • storage costs
  • extra transportation expenses
  • loss of food in a refrigerator or freezer

Documentation for all covered expenses is required, the department recommends saving all bills and receipts for expenses associated with the fire is important. If you are having trouble identifying if an activity or item is reimbursable contact your agent or insurer. If residents need assistance, they can contact the state department’s Consumer Hotline at 800-927-4357 for questions about their insurance coverage.

Replace EBT Cards

CalFresh recipients in the affected areas of the Chimney Fire who have lost food purchased via EBT or who have lost their EBT cards can get replacements at the County Social Services office in Paso Robles at 406 Spring St. or call (805) 237-3110.

Additional Resources