WIC is a nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well and stay healthy.
WIC services include:
- Nutrition and health information to help families eat well and be healthy.
- Breastfeeding information and support.
- Coupons to buy healthy foods, such as milk, fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grain bread and cereal,eggs, cheese, juice, dry beans and peanut butter in the grocery store.
- Referrals health care and other community services.
WIC clients include:
- Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding or just had a baby.
- Children up to 5 years of age (including foster children).
Some of the files on this site require Adobe Acrobat Reader. This is a free download, click on the icon below.
To be eligible for WIC families need to have a low to medium income and live in San Luis Obispo County. Please see the Income Guidelines for current income guidelines.
WIC has offices in Atascadero, Cambria, Grover Beach, Morro Bay, Nipomo, Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo
To see if you or your family qualifies for WIC call 805-781-5570 or toll free 800-660-3313 for an enrollment appointment nearest your home. WIC staff are bilingual.
For more information about the WIC Program, visit the California WIC Program’s website at: http://www.wicworks.ca.gov
Acerca de WIC y como aplicar http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/wicworks/Pages/WICSpanish.aspx
The USDA is an equal opportunity employer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What documents will I need to bring to my first WIC appointment?
A: Verification of address (current utility bill, rent/mortgage receipt)
Proof of income or proof of Medi-Cal eligibility
Identification for each member of the family enrolling
Q: Will I receive the WIC coupons at my first appointment?
A: Yes, if you or your family qualifies for WIC, you will receive WIC coupons at your first appointment.
Q: How long will my first appointment last?
A: 1 ½ -2 hours.
Q: Can working families apply for WIC?
A: Yes, please see Income Guidelines for current income guidelines.
Q: What grocery stores accept WIC coupons?
A: Most markets in San Luis Obispo County accept WIC coupons. WIC staff can provide you with a listing at your first appointment.
Q: Can single fathers with custody of children under 5 years of age apply for WIC program benefits?