Skip to Content

San Luis Obispo County, California


Fair Housing Program

Fair Housing Program

Equal HousingFederal and state laws provide that it is unlawful “to discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in connection therewith, because of race, color, religion, sex, marital statues, handicap, national origin or ancestry.”  The County of San Luis Obispo, in coordination with the California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. (CRLA) strives to reduce housing discrimination in the housing rental, sales, lending, and insurance markets, in compliance with the Fair Housing Act.  The following links are provided for further information on the Fair Housing Program:

  1. Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity

Fair Housing Discrimination

If you believe that you have been discriminated against by your landlord or real estate agent:

  • You may use the Rental Clinic located in the Superior Court buildings in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles. The Rental Clinic is available to everyone. Find out the date and time of the Rental Clinic by calling the California Rural Legal Assistance (CRLA) at (805) 544-7997
  • If you are low income or very low income - contact Carlie Domingues of the California Rural Legal Assistance (CRLA). (805) 544-7994
  • If you are moderate income, contact a state or federal housing agency:
    •  California Fair Employment and Housing Department (Ventura). (800) 884-1684.
  •  United States - Housing & Urban Development - Office of Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity (Los Angeles) David Petree-Acevedo - (213) 894-8000.
  •  If you are a Senior Citizen, contact:
    •  Senior Legal Services (805) 543-5140
    •  Central Coast Commission for Senior Citizens (805) 928-2552 or (800) 510-2020 (Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties only)

    Landlord - Tenant Disputes

    SLO Solutions is a free mediation service, (805) 549-0442.

    There is also the State Department of Consume Affairs, (800) 952-5210.

    District Attorney - Consumer Affairs - Small Claims division will help with getting the deposit back, (805) 781-5856.

    For low-income households, the CRLA can help (805) 544-7994 (California Rural Legal Assistance)

    Additional HUD contact numbers

    Person who believe they have experienced or witnessed unlawful housing discrimination may contact HUD at 1-800-667-9777 (voice) or 1-800-927-9275 (TTY).

    More information about fair housing rights is available at HUD's website,