Skip to Content

San Luis Obispo County, California


Planning & Building

James A. Bergman

Bill Robeson
Deputy Director, Permitting

Trevor Keith
Deputy Director, Policies and Programs

Affordable Housing

Need affordable housing? templeton housing

You may be qualify for affordable rental or ownership housing. First, determine which income group best describes your household by reviewing the county's Affordable Housing Standards Affordable Housing Standards. After you know which income group your household fits into, review the following list of affordable rental housing developments:

  1. Senior Rental Housing
  2. Family Rental Housing

Here are a few links for local organizations that provide affordable rental or ownership housing:

Fair Housing Program

Equal HousingFederal and state laws provide that it is unlawful “to discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in connection therewith, because of race, color, religion, sex, marital statues, handicap, national origin or ancestry.”  The County of San Luis Obispo, in coordination with the California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. (CRLA) strives to reduce housing discrimination in the housing rental, sales, lending, and insurance markets, in compliance with the Fair Housing Act.  The following links are provided for further information on the Fair Housing Program:

  1. Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity

Fair Housing Discrimination

If you believe that you have been discriminated against by your landlord or real estate agent:

  • If you are low income or very low income - contact Ruth Angulo of the California Rural Legal Assistance (CRLA). (805) 544-7994
  • If you are moderate income, contact a state or federal housing agency:
    •  California Fair Employment and Housing Department (Ventura). (800) 884-1684.
    •  United States - Housing & Urban Development - Office of Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity (Los Angeles) David Petree-Acevedo - (213) 894-8000.

Landlord - Tenant Disputes

SLO Solutions is a free mediation service, (805) 549-0442.

There is also the State Department of Consume Affairs, (800) 952-5210.

District Attorney - Consumer Affairs - Small Claims division will help with getting the deposit back, (805) 781-5856.

For low-income households, the CRLA can help (805) 544-7994 (California Rural Legal Assistance)

Additional HUD contact numbers

Person who believe they have experienced or witnessed unlawful housing discrimination may contact HUD at 1-800-667-9777 (voice) or 1-800-927-9275 (TTY).

More information about fair housing rights is available at HUD's website,