CDBG, HOME, and ESG Programs
The Urban County of San Luis Obispo is a partnership among the cities of Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Morro Bay, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo, and the County of San Luis Obispo. This partnership receives grant funds under the CDBG, HOME, and ESG programs from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The goal of the federal CDBG, HOME, and ESG programs is to financially help community-based projects that provide social services, affordable housing, and public facilities to benefit low income households and homeless populations.
We value your input on community development and affordable housing needs. Please complete the “Needs” survey to help us determine the community needs
Guidelines and Regulations
Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
The regulations governing the CDBG program can be found in Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 570.
HOME Investment Partnership (HOME)
The regulations governing the HOME program can be found in Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 92.
Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
The regulations governing the ESG program can be found in Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 576.
Continuum of Care Grants
The Continuum of Care (CoC) in San Luis Obispo County consists of a variety of agencies and services that assist homeless clients in the County. The CoC grant from HUD provides over $1 million in assistance (both housing and services) to homeless individuals and families. On July 31, 2012, HUD released new regulations for the CoC program, and the regulations took effect on August 30, 2012. The CoC regulations can be found in Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 578 at www.hudexchange.info/title578.
On September 17, 2015 HUD released the FY 2015 Notice of Funding Availability for the FY 2015 CoC Program Application Competition. The Notice can be found at: https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/4688/fy-2015-coc-program-nofa/.
- RFP and Application Available: 28 Sept 2015
- RFP Published to Tribune: 1 Oct 2015
- Rating Criteria Available: 2 Oct 2015
- Informational Meeting at SLO County Library: 1:30 pm, 7 Oct 2015
- Subrecipient (non-profit) Application Deadline: 5:00pm, 16 Oct 2015
- Scoring Committee and Ranking Session: 28 October, 2015
- Opportunity to Appeal: 5 November, 2015
- Homeless Services Oversight Council Final Recommendation: 13 November, 2015
- On November 13, 2015 a special HSOC Continuum of Care voting meeting was held to approve the CoC Project Ranking Recommendation. The meeting achieved a quorum and the motion passed with a unanimous vote. Final Recommendation (click here).
- Board of Supervisors Hearing-Consent Item to Submit CoC Application: 17 Nov 2015
- County CoC Application Bonus – One day early submission to HUD: 4:59 pm, 19 Nov 2015
- Consolidated County CoC Application due to HUD – Final Deadline: 5:00pm, 20 Nov 2015
(Application available in Word Document format upon request from Iyeung@co.slo.ca.us)
- Permanent Housing Bonus
- Permanent Supportive Housing Renewal
- Transitional Housing Renewal
- Supportive Services Only Renewal
Rating Criteria for FY 2015 Applications
Local CoC administrators will rank submitted projects and place them into two Tiers in accordance to their adherence to HUD’s Homeless Policy and Program Priorities (NOFA Section II.A). Briefly, they are:
- Strategic Resource Allocation based on performance evaluation and data of all resources
- Ending Chronic Homelessness
- Ending Family Homelessness
- Ending Youth Homelessness
- Ending Veteran Homelessness
- Using a Housing First Approach - While this approach is not appropriate for certain kinds of permanent/transitional housing projects, Housing First approaches are encouraged across all types of projects.
The following documents provide additional information:
Project Scoring Sheets are available for viewing and are based on NOFA requirements, specific to project. The Scoring Committee will use the sheet to help guide the ranking process, in accordance to the Homeless Policy and Priorities.
- Permanent Housing Bonus-Scoring Sheet
- Permanent Supportive Housing/Transitional Housing Renewal-Scoring Sheet
- Supportive Services Only Renewal-Scoring Sheet