National Preparedness Month
Author: Scott Milner, Emergency Services Coordinator
9/4/2018 3:49:26 PM
National Preparedness Month, recognized each September, provides an opportunity to remind us that we all must prepare ourselves and our families now and throughout the year.
Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
Take time to learn lifesaving skills − such as CPR and first aid, check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as fire, flood, and earthquakes. Make sure to consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency. Also, know how to take practical safety steps like shutting off water and gas.
The devastating wildfires and floods of the past year reminded the nation of the importance of preparing for disasters.
There are many ways to get involved especially before a disaster occurs, find ways to take action in your community. Community leaders agree that the formula for ensuring a safer community consists of trained volunteers and informed individuals taking action to increase the support of emergency response agencies during disasters. Major disasters can overwhelm first responder agencies, empowering individuals to lend support.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
• Learn first aid and join a Community Emergency Response Team in your community, donate to a reputable organization of your choice, and volunteer to respond to disasters. Visit https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team to learn more.
• Volunteer and receive training to support disaster and preparedness efforts in your community. https://www.redcross.org/local/california/central-california.html
• Teach preparedness curriculum in your school. Download everything you need for grades K-12 through Ready Kids program at https://www.ready.gov/kids
• Make a Family Emergency Plan, learn how to develop a plan at https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
• Build an Emergency Supply Kit, learn what items to include in your kit at https://www.ready.gov/kit
To Learn More, visit: https://www.ready.gov/september