Guidelines for Court Appointed Public Defender Reimbursement Claims
The following guidelines govern claims submitted to reimburse attorneys appointed by the Court to serve as a public defender.
Please direct any questions regarding these guidelines to County Administrative Office, 1055 Monterey Street, Suite D430, San Luis Obispo, CA 93408, or (805) 781-5011.
Submitting a Claim:
- Refer to the Responsibility for Payment of Appointed Attorneys document to determine:
- Reimbursement rates based on the type of case, and
- Whether the County of San Luis Obispo or the Superior Court is responsible for reimbursement.
- If the county is responsible for reimbursement, use the County Payment Request Form and send the claim to 1055 Monterey Street, RM D430, San Luis Obispo, CA 93408.
- Include a current W-9 if you do not already have one on file with the County of San Luis Obispo. Payments cannot be processed without a W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.
What to Include in the Claim:
- All claims must include the following information:
- Vendor name and address (telephone number is helpful)
- Date of claim
- Case number
- Defendant name (Last, First, Middle)
- Date(s) of service
- Itemized description of services and hours
- Dollar amount claimed for each date and item
- Total hours
- Total dollar amount claimed
- Attorney signature authorizing claim
- Include any Court orders authorizing the expenditure(s) claimed for reimbursement. Claims for reimbursement not authorized by a Court order will be reviewed by the Court before the County will make payment. The County will not pay claimed items that are not authorized by the Court.
- Note that the county does not reimburse attorney expense for the following items:
- Filing fees
- Mileage (except for witnesses)
Processing Time for Reimbursement Claims:
- Claims must be received in the County Administrative Office by the 9th of each month to be included in the monthly packet sent to the court for review and authorization. If the 9th falls on a weekend, claims are due the following Monday.
- Processing time for reimbursement claims is generally about two to three weeks following submittal to the court.
- Claims approved by the courts are processed by the county for payment.
Please direct any questions regarding these guidelines to:
County Administrative Office
1055 Monterey, Room D430
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408