Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

Due the COVID-19 virus and the County's "shelter at home" policy, the San Luis Obispo County Assessor's Office is closed to the public until further notice. Staff is still working, however, so please feel free to leave us a message by phone or email.  Many functions of the Assessor's office can be accessed through our website, so please visit the site for more detailed information.

Return to the top of the page

File an Agricultural Business Property Statement

Who can use this service?

Agricultural business and agricultural property owners may use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available January 1st to June 30th. Agricultural Business Property Statements are filed at the New Government Center in San Luis Obispo by mail or in person.


Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

New Government Center

Monday - Friday 8-5

1055 Monterey Street Suite D360 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5643

Main Office Fax: (805)-781-5641

Real and Business Property Fax: (805)-788-2042

Public Service/Front Counter Fax: (805)-788-2041

Mapping and Transfers Fax: (805)-781-4034

Frequently Asked Questions

How is the assessed value of my Agricultural Business Property determined?
The Assessor is required to annually assess most taxable personal property at 100% of its fair market value on the lien date. We often rely on various trade publications and "Blue Books" that provide current, open market sales prices and/or cost data for various types of new and used equipment. Often actual owner-reported costs are trended forward to a present replacement cost estimate using trending tables provided by the State Board of Equalizations or developed in-house. The trended costs are then reduced to reflect normal or actual depreciation to arrive at a market value estimate.
I no longer own my Agricultural Business Personal Property, so why am I being billed?
If you were the owner as of January 1st (the lien date), you are responsible for the taxes for the full year. 

If you sold or disposed of the property before that date, please return the form with the date of sale and who the buyer is to the Assessor's Office or provide an explanation of what happened to the property you no longer have in your possession.
What if I was no longer in business on January 1? Do I still complete the Agricultural Business Property Form?

Yes, a business does not have to be in open for its taxable business property to be subject to assessment.

What is Agricultural Business Property and why is it taxed?

Agricultural Business Personal Property is property owned or leased by a business. This does not include real property, which is separately assessed. Business inventory is considered personal property, but it is 100% exempt from taxation. Business Personal Property and fixtures are valued annually as of the January 1st lien date.

Examples of business personal property include all supplies, equipment and fixtures used in the operation of a business.

The California Constitution states in part, "Unless otherwise provided by the Constitution or the laws of the United States, All property is taxable..."  That means that, unless otherwise exempted, tangible personal property owned, claimed, possessed or controlled in the conduct of a profession, trade or business may be subject to property taxes, as well as privately or business owned boats and aircraft.

What should I do if all my equipment was given to me and I don't know what to report?

For Agricultural business equipment you received as a gift, report your estimate of its current market value on the Agricultural Property Statement, or what you think it would sell for on the open market. Enter the estimated value in the most current year's cost line and add a note indicating that the value entered is an estimate.

What should I do if the pre-printed information on the Agricultural Business Property Statement is incorrect?

If you have moved or changed your business mailing address, draw a single line through the incorrect information (Please DO NOT make the pre-printed information unreadable), then clearly print the new information on the form. Provide the effective date of the move or the date the change became effective. If you sold the business, include the new owner's name and address. If you closed the business, provide the date you closed and information relating to the sale or disposal of any personal property. Complete the Agricultural Business Property Statement, sign and return to our office.

Who has to file an Agricultural Business Property Statement, and why did I receive one?

You were sent a statement because our records indicate that you were in business on the lien date January 1st. We are required to assess any taxable business personal property in your possession on that date.

If the Assessor's Office sends you an Agricultural Property Statement, the law requires that you complete, sign, and return the statement to the Assessor's Office within the time period specified. In addition, any business that owns personal property and/or fixtures having a total combined value of $100,00 or more is required to file a Agricultural Property Statement, whether the Assessor sends the statement or not.