Homeowners' Exemptions

Who can use this service?

Anyone can use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

New Government Center

Monday - Friday 8-5

1055 Monterey Street Suite D360 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5643

Main Office Fax: (805)-781-5641

Real and Business Property Fax: (805)-788-2042

Public Service/Front Counter Fax: (805)-788-2041

Mapping and Transfers Fax: (805)-781-4034

Atascadero Office

Monday - Friday 8-4

6565 Capistrano Avenue Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6143

Fax: (805) 461-6159

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to file for the homeowners' exemption each year?

No, once you have been granted the exemption, as long as you continue to own and occupy the property on a continuing basis there is no need to refile a claim. If you vacate on a long-term basis however, or rent or lease the property, you must notify our office in writing that you are no longer eligible for the exemption. If at a later date you reoccupy the property, you must file a new claim in order to receive the exemption.

Do I need to notify the Assessor's Office when I move?

Yes, you must notify our office in writing whenever a property you own is no longer eligible for the homeowners' exemption. Please file a Homeowners' Exemption Termination Notice as soon as possible after vacating the property. You are only eligible for one homeowners' exemption at any given time, and only on the property that is your principal place of residence.

I filed a homeowners' exemption claim. Why isn't it showing on my tax bill?

A homeowners' exemption is granted only if the claimant is the owner of the property and is using the property as his or her principal place of residence as of January 1st.  If you acquired the property after January 1st, the exemption should appear on your supplemental property tax bill, unless the full exemption was already applied to the same property on the current assessment roll, or on a prior supplemental assessment for the same year.