Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

COVID-19 has changed some of the procedures for providing service to you. For most questions or concerns, please call our office at (805) 781-5643 or review our website. If you need to meet with assessor staff, video conferencing or appointments can be scheduled. Please call or email to schedule a meeting or video conference. Our office is open to the public; however, there may be wait times due to the requirements for social distancing (Per California of Public Health Guidance, face coverings need to be worn while in the building). Documents may also be mailed in or delivered using the public drop box located outside our office lobby. 

Return to the top of the page

Welfare Exemption

Who can use this service?

This service is available to a claimant who is new to San Luis Obispo County or who is an established claimant filing for a new location. 

What is the process?

Step 1: Application for Welfare Exemption

First time Welfare exemption claimants must submit:

  • A completed Claim for Welfare Exemption Form (BOE-267)(first filing)
  • A copy of their Organizational Clearance Certificate Issued by the State Board of Equalization

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

New Government Center

Monday - Friday 8-5

1055 Monterey Street Suite D360 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5643

Main Office Fax: (805)-781-5641

Real and Business Property Fax: (805)-788-2042

Public Service/Front Counter Fax: (805)-788-2041

Mapping and Transfers Fax: (805)-781-4034

Atascadero Office

Monday - Friday 8-4

6565 Capistrano Avenue Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6143

Fax: (805) 461-6159

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for a Welfare Exemption?

First time Welfare exemption claimants must submit:

What is a Welfare Exemption?

Welfare Exemptions are available to non-profit organizations that are religious, hospital, scientific or charitable in nature, and that:

  • Own their own real property and exclusively use the property for exempt purposes
  • Own their own personal property and exclusively use the property for exempt purposes (such personal property includes tools, equipment, office supplies, furniture, etc.)
  • Use government owned property
Who may I contact for further information?

Welfare exemptions are processed by our Change in Ownership department (also called the Transfers section). They can be reached by calling our main office switchboard at (805) 781-5643. If you are in the North County, please call our Atascadero office at (805) 461-6143.