What to Expect When Going To Court
1/30/2019 3:12:39 PM
Going to court can be an intimidating and confusing process. The County of San Luis Obispo Department of Child Support hopes to make that process easier by sharing some tips on preparing for your upcoming court hearing and what to expect the day of the hearing.
A few things to think about before your hearing date:
- You must provide current proof of income, deductions, and hardships to your case officer well in advance to the court hearing. If you have any change in your paperwork, please notify your case officer immediately and provide proof of any changes. If you are not sure what to provide, please ask your case officer.
- If you need translation service, ASL and hearing-impaired assistance, or if you have a restraining order against the other parent and domestic violence is a concern, please let your case officer know.
Some things to consider on the day of the hearing:
- Dress appropriately. Shorts, tank tops, or bare feet are not allowed in court. Sunglasses and hats are also prohibited in the court room.
- Arrive early to the courthouse. The courthouse is located at 1035 Palm Street in San Luis Obispo.
- Think about traffic, parking, and the possibility of getting lost. Metered street parking around the courthouse is limited. There is additional parking available in the Palm Street Parking garages located at 842 and 919 Palm Street
For more information on what to expect when you get to the court room and during the court proceeding, please see the informational video provided below.