May Mental Health Awareness Month
May is Mental Health Awareness Month! We are committed to bringing support and awareness to our community, because mental health matters! Below you will find a variety of FREE events and activities. Can't make an event? You can still show your support at home by downloading our Activity Guide or by sharing one of our pre-made graphics and videos on social media. Don't forget to tag #MayMH!
Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more May Mental Health updates and activities.
We are partnering with SLO Food Bank to hand out mental health self-care packages at select food bank pick up sites in May! Stop by a location below to participate. No registration required. View the event flyer or our event page on Facebook for more information.
- Tuesday, May 4, 2021. 9:30am-10:30am at St. Joseph’s Church in Nipomo
- Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 3:30pm-4:30pm at Baywood Elementary in Los Osos
- Thursday, May 20, 2021. 3:00pm-4:00pm at Cambria Grammar School and District Office
- Friday, May 28, 2021, 1:30pm-3:30pm at Paso Robles Housing Authority at Oak Park
May, 6, 2021, 6:00 pm- 8:00 pm, online event
The free event will feature keynote speaker Frank Warren of PostSecret, not to be confused with our emcee for the evening, Frank Warren of SLO County Behavioral Health Prevention & Outreach. PostSecret, founded in 2011, is a collection of over one million highly personal postcards mailed anonymously from around the world, displaying the soulful secrets we never voice. Frank Warren’s TedTalk can be viewed at the following link: Half a Million Secrets. The event will also include powerful and inspiring stories from local speakers. View the event flyer. and Register online.
Join your fellow community members who have been trained on how to recognize signs and symptoms of mental health or substance use challenges in youth and adults, and how to help people find support to begin their recovery journey. These trainings are FREE but registration is required. Each training requires 2-hours of pre-work to be completed before the live, virtual training on the select dates below:
Adult Mental Health First Aid Classes:
Youth Mental Health First Aid Classes:
May 13, 2021 6:00pm-7:30pm, online event
Presented by SLO Behavioral Health and the San Luis Obispo County Office of Education. Join us in a community discussion about how to best support youth as we approach our road to recovery. This free, public event includes a poetry reading of original work by local youth, local youth mental health data presentation, and a panel discussion with local experts in the medical and mental health field. If you would like to submit a question for the Expert Panel discussion, please submit your questions here. View the event flyer.
American Sign Language translation will be streamed on all channels. Spanish translations are available, please register for the event below if you would like to view the event in Spanish.
- The Virtual Town Hall will be streamed live from County Behavioral Health's Facebook page and YouTube Channel. If you would like to watch from the live Zoom stream, watch the event in Spanish, and receive email updates about the event, please register now by clicking here.
Poetry Contest -SLO County middle and high school students are encouraged to participate in the Youth Poetry Contest,1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will have the opportunity to win cash prizes! First place winners will be invited to present their poem at the Virtual Town Hall on May 13th.
All entries must be submitted to [email protected] by Friday, May 7, 2021 at 5:00pm. Submissions around the theme of "Young People and Mental Health in a Changing World" are accepted in both English and Spanish. For a full list of contest rules and poetry details, please review the Poetry Contest Rules.
May, 21, 2021 11:30am-1:30pm at Transitions- Mental Health Association, 784 High Street, San Luis Obispo
Stop by the 2nd annual Mental Health Drive Tru and help demonstrate what SLO County is capable of when we break down stigma, build wellness, and strengthen our community. Now more than ever it's important to make mental health a priority! Community members are encouraged to drive by and receive a mental health self-care package and learn about ways to support their mental health and raise awareness in San Luis Obispo County. No registration required. View the event flyer
or our event page on Facebook
for more information.
Related Forms & Documents
Frequently Asked Questions
- Wear GREEN to show your support for Mental Health Awareness!
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay in the loop with fun May Mental Health updates and activities!
- Attend on of our May Mental Health Month events to receive a self-care bag and take care of your mental health all year long.
- Download one of our activity pages and share your work on social media!
- Mental Health Matters Coloring Pages
- Take What You Need
- Mental Health Green Ribbon Wall Art Installation
- Print out a Green Ribbon to hang on your door to bring mental health awareness to your neighborhood.
- Phone a friend, family member, or colleague you haven't spoken to in a while to check-in. Mental Health Awareness takes a village!
- Do you have a yard, patio, or window that gets a lot of sun? Plant some flowers or your favorite edible plant and watch as it grows. Remember, healing and recovery take time.
- Show your neighbors and community your support for mental health with a green chalk drawing! Letting others know you are a safe space encourages help-seeking and reminds others that they are not alone.
Check out our Activity Guide for more information.
Post one of the pre-made graphics and videos below on your social media channels to show your support for mental health!
If you or someone you love is looking for Mental Health Services, please call our access line at 1-(800)-838-1381. To learn more about the Mental Health Services we offer, you may also visit our Youth Mental Health and Adult Mental Health web pages.
Please contact our access line at 1 (800) 838-1381 for information or to schedule an appointment. All services are available in Spanish.