What is this service?
Each year, millions of older Americans fall, leading to serious injury and even death. Preventing falls is an important part of protecting the health of our community and extending the quality of life for our older community members. For this reason, the Public Heath Department offers home visits for at-risk seniors, as well as fall prevention classes that promote strength and balance.
Who can use this service?
Any group can request a presentation or join in the activities listed below. If you have a group of older community members who want to attend a class series, call us to make arrangements.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
We offer a variety of services to the community:
- Monthly Senior Meet-Up. SLOCO Seniors is a monthly social group for older community members and community partners to share experiences and ideas. New topics and guest speakers are featured each month. Meetings are virtual the 3rd Monday of the month via Zoom from 10:30 am –11:30 am. All are welcome!
- Fall Prevention Course. The Fall Prevention course includes 6 weekly classes designed to help participants learn skills to prevent falls and improve overall health. Participants learn home safety, medication management, aging and physical changes, nutrition for bone health, stress management, and the benefits of physical activity. The instructor works with participants to develop a personalized plan for improving strength and balance. For the current course schedule, or to host a course, please message us at the contact info below.
- Fall Prevention Home Visits. Did you know that half of all falls occur in the home? Home visits are FREE personalized assessments and recommendations for making your home safer to prevent falls. Email or call us to schedule an appointment.
- Fall Prevention Strength and Balance Classes. Participants learn exercises that improve strength and balance and help prevent falls before they happen. Group exercise classes are designed for all levels to build skills and confidence in a supportive environment. Classes are at the Morro Bay Community Center on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 10:30 - 11:30 am, and at the San Luis Obispo Senior Center on Fridays, from 10:30 - 11:30 am.
- Fall Prevention Strength Training Exercises. Enjoy a selection of exercise videos from the comfort of your home! You will find some of our favorite fall prevention strength training exercises on our YouTube page.
For more information on any of our activities, please call the Health Promotion office at (805) 781-5564 or contact Michelle at [email protected]
For news on our upcoming events and activities, subscribe to our newsletter and view past issues here.