Mobile Food Facility Consultation and Construction Permitting

What is the process?

Step 1: Review Construction and Operational Requirements

Read and comply with the Requirements for Mobile Food Facilities reference document.  If you plan to construct an unenclosed Mobile Food Facility, you must also read and comply with the Guidelines for Unenclosed Mobile Food Facilities reference document.

Step 2: Submit Required Items

Submit the following:

Step 3: Pay Plan Check Fee

The fee is due with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.

Step 4: Await response from Agency

Plans must be approved prior to beginning construction. The inspector reviewing the plan will contact you with any additional information or forms that may be required, revisions needed, or when your plan is approved.

Step 5: Receive Certification from HCD (enclosed units only)

When construction is complete but before you contact Environmental Health Services for inspection, enclosed Mobile Food Facilities must first be approved by Housing and Community Development before they can be permitted to operate.

If your Mobile Food Facility is unenclosed, skip to step 6.

Step 6: Schedule Inspection

Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of your Mobile Food Facility prior to opening for business

This Agency will grant approval to begin operation upon completing a final construction/opening inspection. It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Permanent Food Facility without first receiving approval from this Agency in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.

Step 7: Await Approval From Agency

It is unlawful to begin operation of a new or remodeled Mobile Food Facility without first receiving approval from this Agency.

Upon completion of an initial inspection, the inspector will affix a health permit sticker to the vehicle indicating approval to begin use of the vehicle. A paper Health Permit to Operate will be mailed within 2-4 weeks after receiving inspector approval.

This service is available to all businesses wishing to begin construction or modification of a Mobile Food facility within San Luis Obispo County.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Environmental Health Services Supervisors

Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. 

Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553  [email protected]

  • Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems, Water Well Programs and Vector Programs

Aaron LaBarre (805) 781-5595  [email protected]

  • Body Art, Food Protection, Swimming Pools and Spas

Peter Hague (805) 781-5554  [email protected]

  • Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs