Monitoring Well Destruction Permitting

What is the process?

Step 1: Hire a C-57 licensed well driller.

To qualify as a well driller in the County of San Luis Obispo, the following conditions must be met:

  1. Driller shall have a current C-57 contractor license.
  2. Driller shall have a $25,000 surety bond in place with San Luis Obispo County Environmental Health Services. A cashier's check may be submitted in place of a surety bond and payment shall be returned after the Well Completion Report is reviewed and approved.

Step 2: Submit a Well Destruction Permit Application

The well driller will submit a Monitoring Well Destruction Permit Application for each well on behalf of the property owner.

Step 3: Pay Well Destruction Permit Application Fee

The well driller will pay the Monitoring Well Destruction Permit Application Fee and submit with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.

Step 4: Receive Approval to Destroy the Well

It is unlawful to begin destruction of a Monitoring Well without first receiving approval from an Environmental Health Services.

The health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. You may be contacted with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.

This service is available to all C-57 licensed well drillers intending to destroy an existing Monitoring Well.

Visit our Well Drillers Resources page to view helpful information on obtaining permits to construct or destroy a Monitoring Well within San Luis Obispo County.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Environmental Health Services Supervisors

Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. 

Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553  [email protected]

  • Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems, Water Well Programs and Vector Programs

Aaron LaBarre (805) 781-5595  [email protected]

  • Body Art, Food Protection, Swimming Pools and Spas

Peter Hague (805) 781-5554  [email protected]

  • Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs