Monitoring Well Construction Permit Application
What is this service?
This service allows you to apply for a permit to construct a new Monitoring Well within San Luis Obispo County.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all C-57 licensed well drillers intending to drill a Monitoring Well.
Visit our Well Drillers Resources page to view helpful information on obtaining permits to construct or destroy a Monitoring Well within San Luis Obispo County.
As a reminder...
- It is not necessary to submit a Monitoring Well Permit Application if you are drilling less than 25 feet and do not anticipate encountering groundwater. If you are drilling less than 25 feet and unexpectedly encounter groundwater, immediately contact San Luis Obispo County Environmental Health Services to submit a Monitoring Well Permit Application.
- Multiple Monitoring Wells shall be included on one application if they are the same type of well and are on the same parcel. A separate fee shall apply for each Monitoring Well.
- Consultants cannot sign the Monitoring Well Permit Application. Only the C-57 licensed well driller can sign Monitoring Well Permit Applications.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.
What is the process?
Step 1: Hire a C-57 licensed well driller.
To qualify as a well driller in the County of San Luis Obispo, the following conditions must be met:
- Driller shall have a current C-57 contractor license.
- Driller shall have a $25,000 surety bond in place with San Luis Obispo County Environmental Health Services. A cashier's check may be submitted in place of a surety bond and payment shall be returned after the Well Completion Report is reviewed and approved.
Step 3: Pay Monitoring Well Construction Permit Application Fee
The well driller will pay the Monitoring Well Construction Permit Application Fee and submit with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.
Step 4: Receive Approval to Drill
It is unlawful to begin construction of a new Monitoring Well without first receiving approval from an Environmental Health Services.
The health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. You may be contacted with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Environmental Health Division
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211