Public Pool / Public Spa Health Permitting
What is this service?
This service allows you to apply for or renew a permit to operate a Public Pool and/or Spa Facility within San Luis Obispo County.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all businesses wishing to obtain an initial permit or renew a permit to operate a Public Pool and/or Spa Facility within San Luis Obispo County.
What is the process?
Step 1: Review Operational Requirements
Step 2: Consult with an Inspector
A health permit to operate a Public Pool and/or Spa Facility will not be issued unless all construction and requirements are met. If you have completed a plan check for your Public Pool and/or Spa Facility and have already been working with an inspector, proceed to step 3.
- If you are a new owner for an existing Public Pool and/or Spa that has been previously permitted by Environmental Health Services for use, continue to step 3.
- If you have acquired a property with a pool and/or spa that has not been previously permitted by Environmental Health Services for use as a Public Pool and/or Spa, and plan to obtain a permit from Environmental Health Services for use as a Public Pool and/or Spa, it is strongly encouraged to consult with an inspector to verify that the pool and/or spa meets eligibility requirements for a commercial pool/spa.
- Once an inspector has determined that the Public Pool and/or Spa Facility is eligible for health permitting, continue to step 3.
Step 5: Schedule Inspection
Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of your Public Pool and/or Spa Facility prior to opening for business.
Step 6: Await Inspector Approval to Begin Operation
It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Public Pool and/or Spa Facility without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.
Once it has been determined that construction and operational compliance is met following an initial inspection, the inspector will grant approval to begin operation.
Ensure that the Public Pool and/or Spa is continually operated and maintained in accordance with Public Pool and/or Spa operational requirements. Operational requirements as well as helpful resource materials are provided below.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Environmental Health Division
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211
Environmental Health Supervisors
Laurie Salo (805) 781-5552; [email protected]
- Body Art, Food Protection, Swimming Pools and Spas, and Vector Programs
Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553; [email protected]
- Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems and Water Well Programs
Aaron LaBarre (805) 781-5595; [email protected]
- Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs