Water Well Destruction Permitting
What is this service?
This service allows you to apply for a permit to destroy an existing Drinking Water Well located within San Luis Obispo County.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all C-57 licensed well drillers intending to destroy an existing Drinking Water Well.
Visit our Well Driller Resources page to view helpful information on obtaining permits to construct or destroy a Water Well within San Luis Obispo County.
What is the process?
Step 1: Hire a C-57 licensed well driller.
To qualify as a well driller in the County of San Luis Obispo, the following conditions must be met:
- Driller shall have a current C-57 contractor license.
- Driller shall have a $25,000 surety bond in place with San Luis Obispo County Environmental Health Services. A cashier's check may be submitted in place of a surety bond and payment shall be returned after the Well Completion Report is reviewed and approved.
Step 3: Pay Well Destruction Permit Application Fee
The well driller will pay the Water Well Destruction Permit Application Fee and submit with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.
Step 4: Receive Approval to Destroy the Well
It is unlawful to begin destruction of a Water Well without first receiving approval from an Environmental Health Services.
The health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. You may be contacted with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
Environmental Health Division
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211
Environmental Health Supervisors
Laurie Salo (805) 781-5552; [email protected]
- Body Art, Food Protection, Swimming Pools and Spas, and Vector Programs
Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553; [email protected]
- Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems and Water Well Programs
Aaron LaBarre (805) 781-5595; [email protected]
- Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs