Grading Permits

Who can use this service?

Anyone can apply for a grading permit; however, plans are typically prepared by a licensed architect or engineer.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.

What is the process?

Step 1: Meet with Staff

The applicant meets with Department of Planning & Building staff to verify the scope of the project and to determine the type of grading permit required (minor or major).

Step 2: Obtain Documentation

Typically, the applicant needs to obtain and include the following documentation with the application:

Step 3: Submit Application

The applicant submits a completed application package and pays applicable fees. With the exception of properties in the Agriculture land use category, grading that disturbs an area of 1.0 acres or more generally requires a land use permit. Projects that disturb an area of more than 1.0 acres are required to enroll in California's Construction General Permit for Stormwater Discharges.

Step 4: Perform Review

Staff from the Department of Planning & Building, Department of Public Works, and Cal Fire review the application in sequence. A plans examiner then reviews the plans for a final time to verify compliance with applicable codes and ordinances and to determine if any additional information is required.

Step 5: Issue Permit

Once all information has been verified, the applicant has provided any additional required information, and all fees have been paid, staff issues a grading permit to the applicant. Once a permit is issued, work can begin and inspections can be scheduled.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Old County Courthouse Building

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5600

Permits/Inspections: (805) 788-2076

Fax: (805) 781-1242

Atascadero Office

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

6555 Capistrano Avenue Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6138

Frequently Asked Questions

Do grading permits require environmental review?

A grading permit may require environmental review depending on the location, slope, and volume of soil moved. The review may involve additional processing time, fees, and extra requirements. Please contact staff at (805) 781-5600 if you have questions.

Property Information

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN) or address.

Launch Application

Customer Service Survey

Let us know how we're doing! Please provide your opinions and comments by completing our brief Department of Planning & Building customer survey.

Take the Survey