Public Records Act Requests

Who can use this service?

Anyone can use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for reproduction fees.

What is the process?

Step 1: Make Request

A person submits a completed request form to the Department of Planning & Building via one of the following methods:

  • Email: [email protected];
  • Fax: (805) 781-5603; or
  • US mail or in person: 976 Osos Street, Room 300, San Luis Obispo, CA 93408.

Step 2: Receive Response

Department of Planning & Building staff will respond to the request within 10 business days of receipt of the request. In some instances, 14 days may be required to respond as authorized by California Public Records Act. If hard copy records are requested, any reproduction fees must be paid at this time.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Old County Courthouse Building

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5600

Permits/Inspections: (805) 788-2076

Fax: (805) 781-1242

Atascadero Office

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM

6555 Capistrano Avenue Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6138

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to respond to a request?

A response will be provided within ten (10) business days of the receipt of your request. In some instances, the department may require up to an additional fourteen (14) days to respond, as authorized by the California Public Records Act.

What kind of information is applicable to the California Public Records Act?

The California Public Records Act applies to writings in County files “containing information relating to the conduct of the public’s business prepared, owned, used, or retained by any state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics.” The County will provide those documents to you, unless they are exempt from disclosure under the Public Records Act or other legal reason prevents the documents from being disclosed to the public.

Property Information

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN) or address.

Launch Application

Customer Service Survey

Let us know how we're doing! Please provide your opinions and comments by completing our brief Department of Planning & Building customer survey.

Take the Survey