Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

The Department of Planning and Building Permit Center is open by appointment only for limited building permit intake, correction returns/pick-up and to schedule virtual meetings. To submit electronic Building Permit or Land Use Permit Applications please visit  our website.

Return to the top of the page
County Seal

Planning & Building

County of San Luis Obispo

Search Code Enforcement Services

Code Enforcement Services


Environmental Investigations Program

The primary focus of the Environmental Investigations Program is to prevent the loss of natural resources due to illegal activities. Unauthorized grading is one such prominent illegal activity, which often leads to increased runoff, stream bed siltation, habitat loss, and loss of vegetation and wildlife. Code enforcement staff work alongside other regulatory agencies as part of the San Luis Obispo Environmental Enforcement Group and as part of the San Luis Obispo/Santa Barbara Federal Environmental Task Force to investigate these illegal activities and prosecute all responsible parties.

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems Program

Under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Systems (NPDES), code enforcement staff enforce grading and illicit stormwater discharge requirements.

Public Records Requests

The Department of Planning & Building provides access to the records it maintains in accordance with the California Public Records Act (CPRA).



Short Term Vacation Rental Hotline

The County of San Luis Obispo has established a hotline for reporting an unlicensed vacation rental or for making a complaint about a vacation rental. Reports can be made online or by calling the hotline at (435) 787-4357. Reports can be made 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Tenant Services Program

Through the Tenant Services Program, code enforcement staff will inspect rented homes at no charge if the tenant believes that the home is substandard. The only requirements are that the tenant has notified their landlord, in writing, of the problem and given their landlord a reasonable amount of time to address the problem and that the tenant is current on their rent (or the rent is being held in an escrow, savings, or trust account if it is being withheld).