Hearing for County Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance Set for September
Author: Department of Planning and Building
9/5/2019 2:08:26 PM
Under direction of the County Board of Supervisors, Planning and Building Staff have been working to create an ordinance that will establish incentives and reduce barriers for developing ADUs. In January 2019, the Public Review Draft was released for public comment and County Planning and Building received many responses from both members of the public and agencies.
The feedback we received has been included in the Public Hearing Draft (also known as ADU Phase II) that is now scheduled to be presented to the County of San Luis Obispo Planning Commission on September 12, 2019 at the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors Chambers, 1055 Monterey Street, Room #D170, County Government Center, San Luis Obispo, CA. The Board of Supervisors Chambers are located on the corner of Santa Rosa and Monterey Streets.
At the September 12, 2019 Hearing, the Planning Commission will provide a recommendation that will be presented at an upcoming Board of Supervisors meeting.
Overview of Updates to the Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance:
- ADUs now allowed in all Land Use Categories (Zones) that allow single-family residences and multi-family residences
- ADUs now allowed in areas that were formerly prohibited including South Atascadero and the Los Ranchos/Edna Valley
- Removal of requirement excluding ADUs on parcels with non-conforming development
- Reduction in minimum parcel size for ADUs on parcels with community sewer and water
- Allowance of larger ADUs on parcels less than two acres
- Elimination of parking requirements for ADUs, but parking replacement required through garage conversions
- Prohibition of new ADUs as short-term rentals
A direct link to the proposed amendments can be found below here.
You can also view the project web page at the link below for history and updates here.
You may submit written comments to the attention of Brian Pedrotti, Senior Planner, via email [email protected]. Hard copy correspondence can be sent to the address below. You may also provide verbal comments at the Planning Commission hearing on September 12, 2019.
Department of Planning & Building
ATTN: Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance/Brian Pedrotti
976 Osos Street, Room 300
San Luis Obispo, CA 93408