Mobile Home Park Rent Stabilization Ordinance

A mobile home park owner can apply for a larger rent increase. But they must demonstrate that the cost of operating the mobile home park exceeds the amount that the park earns even with the rent increase. Any increase in government fees (i.e.,county, state and federal fees) can "pass-through" directly to the residents without approval from the County's Mobilehome Rent Review Board.


Changes or Expansion of the Mobile Home Park
Expired Lease or Rental Agreement
Expiring Lease or Rental Agreement
General Information
Health and Safety
New Homeowners and Prospective Buyers
New Mobile Home Park Owner or Manager
Permitted Rent Increases
Renters in a Mobile Home Park
RV Parks
RVs in Mobile Home Parks
Threat of Eviction
Vacation Homes

Frequently Asked Questions

How much of a rent increase is allowed by the County's rent control ordinance? How do you calculate it?

One time per year, the rent may be increased by 60% of the Consumer Price Index (CPI). For example, for the past 12-month period, the increase in CPI was 3.9%. Therefore, 3.9% X 60% = 2.34%. The space rent may be increased by 2.34%. For more information, refer to the County's Title 25 - Section 25.06.010(b). 

Does rent control apply to my mobile home park? Does it apply to me?

Yes. State and local rent control laws apply to all mobile home parks. However, the rent control laws apply only to spaces with short-term (month-to-month) rental agreements. Rent control does not apply to spaces with long-term rental agreements (exceeding 12 months). See California Civil Code 798.17 et.seq., specifically 798.17(a). Note: Your local city or county must have its own rent control ordinance. 

Who enforces the state and local rent control laws?

Please be aware that neither the state Mobilehome Residency Law nor the County's Title 25 provide a mechanism for enforcement. Neither the state nor the county have the ability to impose a fine or a citation. A violation of the rent control laws is a civil matter, and the suffering party may use civil litigation to remove the violation. This applies whether there is a homeowner who does not pay the space rent or a park manager who overcharges for the mobile home space. The County encourages alternative methods to be considered before engaging in legal action. 

Homeowners who feel that there has been a rent overcharge (in violation of the County's Title 25) can choose to pay the full rent amount "under protest," and continue working to resolve the matter outside of court. 

Can the mobile home park manager raise the space rent for new home buyers when they move into the park?

The County rent control ordinance says that the space rent for new mobile home owners shall not be increased by more than 10% (see the County's Title 25 Section 25.06.011). However, state law overrides local ordinances. Again, some mobile home park managers will not offer new mobile home buyers a choice between a short-term lease (and rent control) or long-term lease. 

My lease will expire. What are my options?

a. Pursuant to California Civil Code 798.17 and 798.18: 

  • A homeowner with an expired or expiring lease or rental agreement shall be given a choice between a long-term lease or a short-term lease (such as a month-to-month lease with rent control). 
  • The homeowner shall have 30 days to review the offered lease agreement. The homeowner also has 72 hours to void the rental agreement if he/she signs it (798.17(b)(3), (b)(4) and (f)). 
  • If the homeowner refuses to sign the long-term lease then he/she must be offered a short-term lease with the same rental charges, terms and conditions as the long-term lease (798.17(c)). 
  • Any long-term rental agreement shall have a boldface notice on the front page indicating that it is exempt from the local rent control ordinance (798.17(a)(2)). 
  • No lease or rental agreement is allowed to have an automatic renewal clause (California Civil Code 798.17(g) and 798.18(c)).