Grading Permits

Learn the definition of grading, the different types of grading, what type of approvals are required to grade, and the process of obtaining a grading permit.

Major Grading Permit

A grading permit is typically needed when a project will change the topography of a property through removing and/or depositing more than 50 cubic yards of soil. Major grading typically involve 5,000 cubic yards of earthwork, or more, or earthwork proposed on terrain with slopes that are 10 percent or greater at any point.

Grading is regulated because it can cause serious problems when not done properly. Staff in the Department of Planning & Building review applications to ensure that they comply with applicable codes and ordinances before issuing a grading permit.

Agricultural Grading

In order for agricultural grading to be exempt from a grading permit, please read the following steps to determine if the proposed grading qualifies, and how to apply.

An Agriculture Grading Form and Site Plan must be approved by the County prior to commencement of any grading activities, for verification that exemption criteria are met. 

Grading Alternative Review Program

An applicant may elect to use the Alternative Review Program for certain agricultural grading. This process allows an applicant to obtain technical assistance, inspection, and sign-off by either the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) or the Resource Conservation District (RCD).  Please read on to learn more.