Addressing, Road Naming, & Road Abandonment

Steps to verifying an address, applying for a road name or road abandonment.

Address Assignment (Pre-Addressing)

This service is to request addresses for a Parcel Map or Tract Map within the unincorporated areas of San Luis Obispo County. All other addressable structure will be addressed after a construction permit is applied for.

Address Verification

This service is to verify an existing address within the unincorporated areas of San Luis Obispo County.

Road Abandonment

An individual seeking the absolute abandonment and discontinuance of a public road must apply for a road abandonment. A formal request to abandon the right-of-way adjacent to a lot, thus incorporating that right-of-way into that lot. This is processed by both the County Public Works and Planning Departments, and the decision is made by the Board of Supervisors. 

The procedure for abandoning a road right-of-way is as follows.