General Plan Administration

Who can use this service?

Anyone can use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.

What is the process?

Step 1: File Application

The applicant submits a completed application and pays all applicable fees.

Step 2: Conduct Initial Review

Planning Staff will do an initial review of the applicant and may ask for additional information.

Step 3: Authorization of Application

Planning Staff schedules the application for authorization to process the GPA at the Board of Supervisors. The Board at their discretion may authorize the processing of the application or not. If they decide to not authorize the application for processing, then the process is terminated. If they authorize processing, then Planning Staff can proceed to the next steps.

Step 4: Distribute Project Referrals

Project referrals, which include application packet and any corresponding maps, are distributed to government agencies and community advisory councils. 

Step 5: Provide Additional Information

If additional information and or environmental studies are required, the project will remain on information hold until that information is provided, the applicant withdraws the application, or County staff deems the application withdrawn. 

Step 6: Conduct Environmental Review

Staff will conduct environmental review, which could result in the preparation of an Environment Impact Report. 

Step 7: Attend Planning Commission Hearing

Planning Staff will present the amendment, provide recommendations, and the Commission will provide a decision. 

Step 8: Attend Board of Supervisors Hearing

Planning Staff will present the amendment, provide recommendations, and the Board will provide a decision. 

Step 9: Attend Coastal Commission Hearings

If in the amendment is within the Coastal Zone, Coastal Commission hearings are required.

When and where is this service offered?

Proposed General Plan amendments are consolidated and processed quarterly.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Old County Courthouse Building

Monday - Friday 8-5

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5600

Permits/Inspections: (805) 788-6602

Fax: (805) 781-1242

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a General Plan Amendment?

A General Plan Amendment is a type of planning application where a person, group, or the County wants to change the policies or rules for how or where development and land uses can happen. The Department of Planning & Building can help you decide if your project needs a General Plan Amendment or not. We can also explain any proposed General Plan Amendments that you may have heard about or are concerned about.  

Where do I start to apply for a General Plan Amendment?

The Permit Center is where to start if you have questions about a General Plan Amendment. A Permit Center consultation usually last about fifteen (15) minutes. If you want to apply for a General Plan Amendment or think you may want to apply, after meeting with the staff at the Permit Center, you will need to have a pre-application meeting. At a pre-application meeting the issues of the proposed General Plan Amendment will be discussed in much greater detail than can be explained at the Permit Center. Those issues may include subjects like the environment, the neighborhood, safety, and resources, such as water supply. Staff from other departments, such as Public Works, County Fire, or Health Department will likely be in attendance at a pre-application meeting, which lasts about one hour. You will also get an idea of how much the General Plan Amendment application will cost and how long it may take to process. After having a pre-application meeting you would then decide if you want to apply for a General Plan Amendment or not.

Interactive Maps (Land Use View)

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN), plan or permit number, or address.

Launch Land Use View Application

Online Services (CSS Portal)

The County of San Luis Obispo provides online services through Citizen Self Service (CSS) to request a building inspection, research construction permits and property information, and to pay fees.

Launch CSS Portal