Exempt Agricultural Building
What is this service?
Regulations contained in Title 19 of the San Luis Obispo County Code exempt certain agricultural accessory buildings from the necessity of having a building permit. In order to qualify for the exemption, a proposed agricultural accessory building must meet the definition of such buildings contained in Section 202 of the 2016 California Building Code, as well as the specific criteria in Section 19.02.020(f)1.19:a-q of the County’s Building and Construction Ordinance. Approval of an exempt agricultural building only entitles the use itself; separate permits may also be required for any construction or grading activities.
What is the process?
Step 1: Submit Application, Site Plan & Floor Plan
- A complete Agricultural Building Exemption Application including all initials and signatures
- Site Plan must be drawn to scale and include:
- Property boundaries and fronting street(s)
- Footprint of all existing and proposed buildings and driveways
- Location of existing and proposed easements (when applicable)
- Distances between all existing and proposed structures and between all structures and exterior property lines
- Location of existing wells and septic systems
- Floor Plan must be drawn to scale and include:
- Stairs to open storage loft shown if applicable
Email the complete application package and site plan to:
Step 3: Review by Staff
Planning & Building staff reviews the application for consistency with the exempt agricultural building standards listed on the application and contact you within 2 business days.
Who can use this service?
Anyone can use this service.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Public Information and Permit Processing Online Services
Housing is Key