Voluntary Mergers

Who can use this service?

The owner of the subject property or any person who is given consent by the owner of the subject property may use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to the Department of Planning & Building Fee Schedule for application fees.

What is the process?

Step 1: Submit Application

The applicant submits a complete Voluntary Merger Application Package and pays all applicable fees.

Step 2: Reach Decision

The Director of Planning & Building (or their designee) reviews the application and reaches a decision to either approve or deny the application. If approved, Department of Planning & Building staff prepare the voluntary merger document.

Step 3: Appeal Decision (Optional)

Any aggrieved person can appeal the Director's decision to the Board of Supervisors.

Step 4: Record Merger

Staff, acting on behalf of the Director of Planning & Building, records the voluntary merger document.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Old County Courthouse Building

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5600

Permits/Inspections: (805) 788-6602

Fax: (805) 781-1242

Frequently Asked Questions

Why would I want to voluntarily merge my parcels?

Often, voluntary mergers are processed in order to accommodate building setbacks, such as when buildings are constructed over lot lines. They are also processed to simply create larger parcels.

Does a voluntary merger affect easements?

No, a voluntary merger does not affect easements, streets, dedications, offers of dedication, or any other recorded interests.

How long does it take to process a voluntary lot merger?

Voluntary mergers can typically be processed within 90 days of the application being deemed complete.

Interactive Maps (Land Use View)

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN), plan or permit number, or address.

Launch Land Use View Application

Online Services (CSS Portal)

The County of San Luis Obispo provides online services through Citizen Self Service (CSS) to request a building inspection, research construction permits and property information, and to pay fees.

Launch CSS Portal