Stormwater Management During Construction

Who can use this service?

Anyone applying for a construction permit can use this service.

Is there a charge for this service?

The cost for this service is factored into applicable construction permit fees.

What is the process?

Step 1: Determine Requirements

Projects that disturb more than 1.0 acre must enroll for coverage under the California Construction General Permit. Projects that disturb less than 1.0 acre may be required to enroll in the Construction General Permit if they are determined to be part of a common plan of development. The Planning and Building Department references the residential common plans flow chart to determine enrollment requirements for residential projects. All projects are required to submit an erosion and sediment control plan.

Step 2: Submit Plans

The applicant submits the completed plan or plans required for their project with the construction permit application and construction plans. Staff will review the plans and request corrections if necessary.

Step 3: Schedule Meeting

Prior to commencing construction, the applicant schedules a pre-construction meeting with staff, who will review the requirements for implementing the stormwater best management practices (BMPs) outlined in the plan or plans during construction, and will discuss any special considerations that may affect construction at the site.

Step 4: Implement Best Management Practices

The applicant implements stormwater best management practices (BMPs) as outlined in the plan or plans required for the project throughout the construction process. Review the County’s informational poster on the proper implementation of minimum Construction Site Stormwater BMPs. Stormwater BMPs are required year-round in San Luis Obispo County, and building inspectors may issue a notice of correction if these practices are not adhered to during construction. Failure to respond promptly with corrective action may subject the project to permit suspension or a stop work order.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Old County Courthouse Building

Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

976 Osos Street Room 200 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

Tel: (805) 781-5600

Permits/Inspections: (805) 788-6602

Fax: (805) 781-1242

Frequently Asked Questions

Are stormwater best management practices (BMPs) necessary during the summer?

Yes. Stormwater BMPs are required year-round throughout the county. Failure to adequately implement BMPs at any time may subject the project to permit suspension or a stop work order.

Do I need to enroll in the California Construction General Permit for Stormwater Discharge?

Sites that disturb 1.0 or more acres or are part of a common plan of development must enroll for coverage. For more information about whether a site must enroll for coverage, please review the California Construction General Permit FAQs.

What are the required elements of an erosion and sediment control plan?

The requirements for erosion and sediment control plans are detailed on the erosion and sediment control plan checklist.

What stormwater management support is available during construction?

The department can support the applicant with determining which permits and plans are required and will oversee implementation of appropriate practices during construction. Dependent upon the scale and type of construction activity, the department may conduct the following: 

  • Review of the Erosion and Sediment Control Plan; 
  • Review of the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP);
  • Pre-construction site meeting with County inspection staff;
  • Erosion and sediment control oversight inspections;
  • Issuance of a Correction Notice to ensure continuous compliance during construction;
  • Issuance of a Stop Work Order to prevent stormwater pollution until corrective action and compliance is demonstrated. 

Interactive Maps (Land Use View)

Our interactive Land Use View mapping application can be used to look up property information by assessor parcel number (APN), plan or permit number, or address.

Launch Land Use View Application

Online Services (CSS Portal)

The County of San Luis Obispo provides online services through Citizen Self Service (CSS) to request a building inspection, research construction permits and property information, and to pay fees.

Launch CSS Portal