Avila Beach Drive Bridge Seismic Retrofit
The Avila Beach Drive Bridge Seismic Retrofit Project is located at the crossing just west of the town of Avila Beach where Avila Beach Drive crosses over San Luis Obispo Creek. The existing bridge was built in 1967 to provide the only public access road to Port San Luis and Diablo Canyon Power Plant.
The Bridge is subject to collapse during an earthquake and the seismic retrofit will assure an evacuation route and will upgrade the bridge to current codes.
- The County's contractor will begin work under the bridge in mid-July and finish work under the bridge at the end of October. Work under the bridge includes:
- Repair of two (2) pierwall jackets.
- Installation of shear keys & cable restrainers on the underside of the bridge deck.
- Work on top of the bridge will begin after Labor Day, September 4, 2018. The work on top in the roadway includes:
- The north abutment will be strengthened by installing restrainers into the soil behind the abutment.
- The south abutment will be strengthened by reinforcing the existing abutment and connecting a concrete approach slab to the abutment.
- The existing asphalt concrete (AC) deck overlay will be removed and replaced with a new polyester concrete deck overlay.
For questions or additional information please contact Matt Reinhart via email or phone: (805) 781-5262.
County has received all permits, clearances, and funding through Caltrans. The County selected a construction contractor, Souza Construction, on May 31 and the Board of Supervisors is officially awarding the contract on June 19 for $1,757,317. The County plans on issuing the Notice to Proceed on July 16.
Contact Public Works via web form, email, or call us at (805) 781-5252.