Cottage Food Operation Registration or Permitting

What is the process?

Pay Health Permit Fee

The permit fee is due with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.

Request an inspection (Class B operators only)

Class B Cottage Food Operators only (Class A operators proceed to step 5)

Call (805) 781-5544 with any questions and to schedule an inspection of your home where Cottage Food Operations are performed prior to beginning operation

Await Approval From Inspector

The health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. The inspector reviewing the application will contact you with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.

For Cottage Food Operations Class A Registration, signed inspector approval of the application grants approval to begin operation.

For Cottage Food Operations Class B Permits, an inspection is required prior to beginning operation.

It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Class B Cottage Food Operation Operation without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.

The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of an initial inspection.

Who is eligible?

This service is available to all individuals wishing to conduct Cottage Food Operations within San Luis Obispo County.

Is there a charge for this service?

Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Monday - Friday 8-5

2156 Sierra Way Suite B
San Luis Obispo , CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-5544

Fax: (805) 781-4211


"Class A" Cottage Food Operations (CFO) may only engage in "direct sales" of cottage food products.

"Class B" Cottage Food Operations (CFO) may engage in either "direct or indirect sales" of cottage food products.

"Direct sale" means a transaction between a registered or permitted Cottage Food operator and the consumer, where the consumer purchases the cottage food product directly from the operator.  Direct sales include, but are not limited to, transactions at Temporary Food Facilities operating at Community Events, Retail Establishments, or in person at the home where the Cottage Food Operation occurs.

In addition to Class A registration, a Food Facility health permit is required for Class A Cottage Food operators engaging in direct sales at a Temporary Food Facility or Retail Establishment.

"Indirect sale" means an interaction between a permitted Cottage Food operator, a third-party retailer, and a consumer, where the consumer purchases the cottage food product made by the Class B Cottage Food operator from a third-party retailer that holds a valid permit issued by Environmental Health Services. Indirect sales include, but are not limited to, sales made to retail food facilities including markets, restaurants, bakeries, delis, where food may be immediately consumed on the premises.