Tobacco Control Coalition
Check out TobaccoFreeSLO.org, the official Tobacco Control Coalition website!
Did you know that in 1990, members of our community helped make San Luis Obispo the first city in the world to ban smoking in public restaurants? This would not have been possible without local individuals advocating for the health of our community.
The individuals who worked to make SLO a pioneer in tobacco control are now part of the County Tobacco Control Coalition. The dedication and action from these community advocates helped build the foundation that has led many people to see our community as "The Happiest City in America!" This work continues today, along with the work of the Tobacco Control Program.
We invite you to join us in working to improve the health of our community as part of the Tobacco Control Coalition.
Promoting smoke-free air and a tobacco-free environment for all people in San Luis Obispo County.
To educate, advocate and develop policy to achieve a tobacco-free community that enhances the health of San Luis Obispo County.
- Educate policy makers on tobacco related issues.
- Protect the health of non-smokers.
- Promote a tobacco-free community by providing education, coordination, advocacy, and support of tobacco control activities.
- Advocate for policy change to protect our local beaches and beautiful outdoors from tobacco liter.
- Serve as a resource for tobacco users to quit.
Membership: How to Join
The Tobacco Control Coalition welcomes all community members and organizations in San Luis Obispo County with the common goal of improving the health and environment of our community. The Tobacco Control Coalition strives for a representative group of individuals that reflect our community or advocate on behalf of a population.
If you would like to learn more on how to become a member, please call us at 805-781-5564 or email [email protected]
Everyone is welcome at our Tobacco Control Coalition meetings. We meet every other month, the second Wednesday of the month, from 4:00-5:15 p.m. (Doors open at 3:45 p.m. for snacks & networking.) Four subcommittees also meet on a regular basis. See the calendar above for upcoming meetings and events.
For more information on meeting times, dates, and locations, please visit our Meetings and Events page or contact us at 805-781-5564.
- Don’t Hold Your Breath: Aims to reduce secondhand smoke exposure of conventional cigarettes and emerging tobacco products through adopting a comprehensive secondhand smoke policy or updating the existing policy to reflect current tobacco definitions.
- Flavored Tobacco Products & Electronic Smoking Devices: The primary focus is to help reduce youth access to tobacco products, including flavored tobacco products and ESD. They look for ways to address and counter the pro-tobacco marketing tactics toward youth.
- Too Cool for School: Provides support to the local colleges that have passed a tobacco-free policy (Cal Poly and Cuesta College). Outreach to vocational schools to educate them on the benefits of tobacco-free campus, assist in adoption and implantation of a tobacco-free campus.
- Community Engagement: A focus on building community involvement through collaborative partnerships within our community. This group helps decide what type of community outreach the coalition should be part of and assist on coalition development.
If you would like to join a subcommittee please contact us at 805-781-5564.
Connect with Us
We invite you to learn more! Contact us at 805-781-5564 to discuss your interest in the coalition. You can also follow HEAL-SLO on Facebook for Tobacco Control updates, and learn more about our Tobacco Control Program. You can also subscribe to our monthly newsletter to stay informed.
Thank you for your interest in the Tobacco Control Coalition!
Speaking up about the health benefits of smoke-free environments