What is this service?
Per the California Food and Agriculture Code, all beekeepers operating within the state of California must register annually with their chosen home county. A beekeeper operating within the County of San Luis Obispo must place bees at a site that meets the requirements set forth in the San Luis Obispo County Ordinance Title 5 Agriculture Chapter 5.04 BEES.
Beekeepers, whose home county is San Luis Obispo County, shall register their hives by either of the following methods by January 1 of each year:
- Submit an Apiary Registration Form, along with the annual registration fee of $10, to the County of San Luis Obispo Department of Agriculture/Weights and Measures.
- Register online using the BeeWhere database at beewherecalifornia.com, and submit the annual registration fee of $10 to the County of San Luis Obispo Department of Agriculture/Weights and Measures.
Regardless of home county, all beekeepers shall notify the Department when moving registered hives.
When filling out the Registration Form or updating BeeWhere:
- Please provide us/the Department with the most accurate location of all hives, or consider using the new, easy, and secure BeeWhere database at beewherecalifornia.com.
- All hives registered through this department will be updated on BeeWhere by our staff, as BeeWhere is the method of notification for pesticide applications.
When selecting locations to place hives:
- Each county may have additional, county-specific ordinance requirements for apiaries. In San Luis Obispo County, please review Ordinance Title 5 AGRICULTURE: Chapter 5.04 BEES.
- Adequate water must be provided and accessible to the bees at all times, and be of a quality and in close enough proximity that it is used.
- Apiaries must be well marked with the beekeeper’s name, city, state, and accurate phone number.
- Apiaries must be located no less than 200 feet from any public road, unless pollinating a crop.
- You must receive permission from landowners before placing bees in any location not owned by you.
- Let the grower(s) around your bees know of their existence and location.
- Request additional notification of pesticide applications directly from the grower(s) and/or PCA.
When moving hives to/from/within a county:
- You must inform the County Agriculture Commissioner(s) involved of the new location(s) of the hives, and/or of their entry or departure from the county.
- The annual $10 registration fee is only due to your home county.
Who can use this service?
Anyone can use this service.
Is there a charge for this service?
Refer to the County of San Luis Obispo Department of Agriculture/Weights and Measures Fee Schedule.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
810 West Branch Arroyo Grande, CA 93420
Tel: (805) 473-7090
Fax: (805) 473-7094
350 North Main Street Templeton, CA 93465
Tel: (805) 434-5950
Fax: (805) 434-5953
2156 Sierra Way San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5910
Fax: (805) 781-1035