Military Discharges (DD-214)
This service allows you to search, view, record or receive copies of Military Discharge documents (DD-214) which have been recorded in San Luis Obispo County.
What is the process?
Complete Request Form
You may request a copy of a Military Discharge if the original was recorded in the County of San Luis Obispo. You will need to complete the Request Form. Copies can be obtained in the following ways:
- In person.
- By mail. Mail your request form to one of our locations. Upon receipt, your request will be processed within one (1) to two (2) business days.
- By fax or email. Contact the Clerk-Recorder's Office by phone for directions on faxing or emailing your request.
Who can use this service?
The following individuals are authorized to receive a certified copy of a Military Discharge Document (DD-214):
- The person who is the subject of the record.
- A family member of the subject person.
- A legal representative of the person who is the subject of the record.
Is there a charge for this service?
This service is provided free of charge.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available at any time by completing the request form. The completed form is submitted anytime throughout the year in person or by mail at the Clerk-Recorder Office in San Luis Obispo during regular business hours except during County-observed holidays.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
1055 Monterey Street Suite D120 San Luis Obispo, CA 93408
Tel: (805) 781-5080
Fax: (805) 781-1111
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you need to have the request form acknowledged if you are not appearing in person.
No, there is not a limit to how many certified copies you can request.