Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

While most services are available online or via the mail, Clerk-Recorder services are now also available in-person at the San Luis Obispo office.  The Atascadero office remains closed until further notice.  Please call (805) 781-5080 to make an appointment.  Walk-in service is also available but may be subject to delays. Please review this information before visiting our office.

Return to the top of the page

Marriage Certificates

Who can use this service?

Anyone who is authorized to receive a certified copy of a marriage record on file with the Clerk-Recorder may use this service.

Those who are not authorized by law to receive an authorized certified copy will receive a certified copy marked "Informational, not a valid document to establish identity".

If you are requesting a certified copy of a confidential marriage certificate, only the two people who were married may get a copy without a court order. Those not authorized by law to receive a certified copy of a confidential marriage record will receive a letter confirming the existence of the confidential marriage pursuant to Family Code 511(c). Authorized individuals are:

  • The registrant (one of the parties to the marriage).

  • Parent, legal  guardian, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant.

  • Party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order (Include a certified copy of the court order with the request).

  • A member of a law enforcement agency or representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency).

  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate. (If requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, include a copy of the power of attorney with the application).

What is the process?

Step 1: Request a Marriage Record

Requesting a marriage record filed in the County of San Luis Obispo can be completed one of following ways:

  • Online via the Self-Service Portal. After submitting your information online, you must come into our office to complete the process within 30 days. Valid identification is required.
  • In-person: When you arrive, use one of our kiosk computers in the lobby to fill out your application, then proceed to the counter to pay for and receive the certificate. You must show valid identification.
  • By mail, fax, or email: Complete and return the application form, along with the appropriate fee. If you are requesting an authorized certified copy, your application form must be notarized. NOTE: Requests submitted with an insufficient fee will be returned without processing.

          Make checks payable to and mail to:

          County of San Luis Obispo Clerk-Recorder
          1055 Monterey Street, Suite D120
          San Luis Obispo, CA 93408

          Email completed form and credit card authorization form to [email protected]

          Fax completed form and credit card authorization form to (805) 781-1111

Alternatively, marriage record requests may be submitted through VitalChek, a third party service. Additional fees may apply. 

Is there a charge for this service?

Yes. Please refer to the Clerk-Recorder's Fee Schedule.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available anytime throughout the year by mail, email, fax, or in-person at the Clerk-Recorder Office in San Luis Obispo during regular business hours except during County observed holidays.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Frequently Asked Questions