Skip to main content

COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at

Behavioral Health COVID-19 Service Updates: Read Here

Return to the top of the page

Please contact our access line at 1 (800) 838-1381 for information or to schedule an appointment. All services are available in Spanish.

Medication Assisted Treatment

Please read the following information so you know how to continue to receive services during the temporary COVID-19 public health emergency. Some Behavioral Health programs may require additional forms to be completed. Please reach out to your treatment team with questions and concerns.

Telehealth over Zoom for Health

To avoid a delay in completing your treatment program, County of San Luis Obispo Behavioral Health will begin offering Remote Client Services. Remote Client Services will enable you to continue program with a certified counselor via a virtual meeting platform called Zoom.

In order to help you participate in Zoom Remote Client Services, we have created user-friendly instructions and tutorials found here. Your treatment team will be in contact with you over email with a web link so you may join your sessions virtually through a computer, tablet, or phone.

Who can use this service?

Anyone can use this service who has a substance use disorder and is in need of assistance to abstain from alcohol, opiates, or methamphetamines.

  • Program participants must have a substance use disorder and not be under current physician care or with a pain management clinic.
  • Program participants must be 18 years or older.

Is there a charge for this service?

This service is provided free of charge for Medi-Cal beneficiaries and on a reasonable sliding fee scale.

  • Income levels and household size are assessed and fees are determined upon a percentage.
  • Medi-Cal beneficiaries' fees are covered by Medi-Cal.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.  The services are available in the four (4) Drug and Alcohol Services clinic locations in Paso Robles, Atascadero, San Luis Obispo/Johnson Avenue, and Grover Beach.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

San Luis Obispo Drug & Alcohol Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

2180 Johnson Avenue San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

Tel: (805) 781-4275

Grover Beach Drug & Alcohol & Probation

Monday - Friday 8-5

1523 Longbranch Avenue Grover Beach, CA 93433

Tel: (805) 473-7080

Atascadero Drug & Alcohol Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

3556 El Camino Real Atascadero, CA 93422

Tel: (805) 461-6080

Paso Robles Drug & Alcohol Services

Monday - Friday 8-5

1763 Ramada Drive Paso Robles, CA 93446

Tel: (805) 226-3200

Frequently Asked Questions

During the COVID 19 Shelter at Home order, are MAT services still being offered?

Yes, we are still accepting admissions to the MAT program. To start the process, please call out San Luis Obispo office at 805-781-4753 to complete our walk-in process over the phone.

Will I have to come to the office for any appointments?

In effort to comply with out Shelter at Home order, our services will be provided over the telephone or via telehealth A knowledgeable MAT staff member will assess the need for a face-to-face visit for the initial MAT appointment.

What will happen if I come to the office for an appointment?

Following Public Health screening guidelines,any clients with an appointment will be asked to wait outside the doors until they are screened by a staff member for symptoms of illness: cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath; and asked if you or anyone in your household have been sick in the last 14 days. Your temperature may also be taken. If you are seen in person, physical distancing will be maintained at all times.

What is Naloxone/Narcan?

Naloxone, also known as NARCAN® is a life-saving medication that is used to reverse an opioid related overdose. Naloxone works by blocking opioid receptor sites, reversing the overdose and allowing the person to breathe. It can be safely administered by laypersons vis nasal spray.

How can I get Naloxone/Narcan?
  • Anyone can purchase NARCAN® Nasal Spray directly from a pharmacist without a doctor’s prescription. All major pharmacy chains (such as CVS, Walgreen's, and RiteAid) stock NARCAN® Nasal Spray, so it’s convenient for you to obtain today.

  • Speak to your local medical provider.  NARCAN is FREE with Medi-Cal. Private insurances have varying co-pays.
  • You can also go to any of our Drug and Alcohol Clinics to obtain one FREE Naloxone Nasal Kit and a prescription for Naloxone. While you do not need a prescription for Naloxone, a prescription does come with three refills.
  • SLO Bangers Syringe Exchange has the intramuscular version of Naloxone for free upon arrival.  It is given in a confidential setting, and is open Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 at the Public Health Department,  2191 Johnson Avenue, SLO.  Call (805) 458-0123 for more information.
Tell me more about the syringe exchange

SLO Bangers Syringe Exchange serves our County and provides new syringes at 1:1 exchange. They are located in the Public Health building, 2191 Johnson Avenue, and are open on Wednesday evenings from 5:30-7:30pm.  Contact the coordinator at 805-458-0123 for more information.


Other services they provide are:

  • Hepatitis C and HIV testing (get $10 to stay for your result)
  • Offer the opioid overdose reversal medication, Naloxone, for free. 
  • Provide a variety of sizes and gauges of syringes, as well as other sterile items used in injecting substances, such as cottons, cookers, waters, and more.
  • Provide referrals to things such as substance abuse and medication assisted treatment (MAT).

Please contact our access line at 1 (800) 838-1381 for information or to schedule an appointment. All services are available in Spanish.