Body Art Facility Construction Permitting
This service allows you to apply for a permit to construct or modify a Body Art Facility within San Luis Obispo County. Body Art facility operations include application of tattoos, body piercing, and permanent cosmetics performed by registered body art practitioners.
What is the process?
Review Construction and Operational Requirements
Read and comply with the Requirements for Body Art Practitioner and Facility reference document.
*Please note, it is strongly encouraged to contact the local city or county jurisdiction Planning and Building Department as additional permits may be required by them.
Submit Required Items
Submit the following:
- A completed Plan Check Application for Body Art Facility form,
- One (1) copy of plans drawn to scale and with the scale indicated and easily readable
- two (2) additional sets of plans will be required upon approval,
- Equipment specification sheets and other information documents that will ensure compliance with equipment/construction requirements,
- A copy of the facility's infection control prevention control plan.
Await response from inspector
Plans must be approved prior to beginning construction. The inspector reviewing the plan will contact you with any additional information or forms that may be required, revisions needed, or when your plan is approved.
Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of your Body Art Facility prior to opening for business.
Await Inspector Approval to Begin Operation
It is unlawful to begin operation of a new or remodeled Body Art Facility without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.
The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of construction and opening inspections.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to businesses wishing to begin construction or modification of a Body Art Facility within San Luis Obispo County.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or call or office at (805) 781-5544.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211
Environmental Health Services Supervisors
Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Cindy Rattigan (805) 781-5544 [email protected]
Jeremiah Damery (805) 781-5548 [email protected]
- Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems, Water Well Programs and Vector Programs
Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553 [email protected]
- Body Art, Food Safety, Public Swimming Pools and Spa Pools
Linnea Chandler (805) 781-4917 [email protected]
- Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs