Body Art Facility Health Permitting
This service allows you to apply for or renew a permit to operate a Body Art Facility within San Luis Obispo County. Body Art Facility operations include application of tattoos, body piercing, and permanent cosmetics performed by registered body art practitioners.
What is the process?
Submit Application and Required Forms
The following forms must be submitted along with the registration fee.
Individual forms can be downloaded below:
1. Submit a completed Health Permit Application for Body Art Facility (click here to download) form. Please note, health permits are non-transferrable.
2. Submit a completed Infection Prevention and Control Plan (Click here to download).
- A body art facility shall maintain and follow a written Infection Prevention and Control Plan, provided by the owner or established by the practition-ers, specifying procedures to achieve compliance with the Safe Body Art Act. A copy of the Infection Prevention and Control Plan shall be filed with Environmental Health Services and a copy maintained in the body art facility.
- The body art facility owner shall provide onsite training on the facility’s Infection Prevention and Control Plan to the body art practitioners and employees or individuals involved with decontamination and sterilization proce-dures.
- Training shall be provided when tasks where occupational exposures may occur are initially assigned, anytime there are changes in the procedures or tasks and when new technology is adopted for use in the body art facility, but not less than once each year. Records of training shall be maintained on-site for three years.
Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of your Body Art Facility prior to opening for business.
Await Inspector Approval to Begin Operation
It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Body Art Facility without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.
The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of an opening inspection.
Who can use this service?
This service is available to all businesses wishing to obtain an initial permit or renew a permit to operate a Body Art Facility within San Luis Obispo County.
Is there a charge for this service?
Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.
When and where is this service offered?
This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.
Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.
Location, directions and hours of operation
Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information
2156 Sierra Way Suite B San Luis Obispo , CA 93401
Tel: (805) 781-5544
Fax: (805) 781-4211
Environmental Health Services Supervisors
Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Cindy Rattigan (805) 781-5544 [email protected]
Jeremiah Damery (805) 781-5548 [email protected]
- Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems, Water Well Programs and Vector Programs
Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553 [email protected]
- Body Art, Food Safety, Public Swimming Pools and Spa Pools
Linnea Chandler (805) 781-4917 [email protected]
- Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs