Cottage Food Operation Registration or Permitting

What is the process?

Step 2: Apply for Class A Registration or a Class B Permit

Step 3: Pay Health Permit Fee

The permit fee is due with the application. Please refer to the Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule for more information.

Step 4: Request an inspection (Class B operators only)

Class B Cottage Food Operators only (Class A operators proceed to step 5)

Call (805) 781-5544 with any questions and to schedule an inspection of your home where Cottage Food Operations are performed prior to beginning operation

Step 5: Await Approval From Inspector

‚ÄčThe health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. The inspector reviewing the application will contact you with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.

For Cottage Food Operations Class A Registration, signed inspector approval of the application grants approval to begin operation.

For Cottage Food Operations Class B Permits, an inspection is required prior to beginning operation.

It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Class B Cottage Food Operation Operation without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.

The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of an initial inspection.

This service is available to all individuals wishing to conduct Cottage Food Operations within San Luis Obispo County.

Please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Frequently Asked Questions

Environmental Health Services Supervisors

Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. 

Leslie Terry (805) 781-5553  [email protected]

  • Beach Water Quality, Cross-Connection, Land Use, Small Public Water Systems, Water Well Programs and Vector Programs

Aaron LaBarre (805) 781-5595  [email protected]

  • Body Art, Food Protection, Swimming Pools and Spas

Peter Hague (805) 781-5554  [email protected]

  • Hazardous Materials (CUPA) Programs