Organized and Temporary Camps Permitting

What is the process?

Review Operational Requirements

Read and comply with the CDPH Organized Camp Regulations or County of San Luis Obispo Ordinance on Temporary Camps (as applicable).

For additional information regarding Organized Camps, review the CDPH Organized Camp Frequently Asked Questions.

Submit Health Permit Application

Submit a Organized Camp Health Permit Application or Temporary Camp Health Permit Application (as applicable).

As an additional resource, view the Temporary Camp checklist. Please note, the Temporary Camp checklist is intended for staff use only for reviewing Temporary Camp applications, however it may be useful when planning to submit an application to ensure all required items are included.

Pay the Health Permit Fee (as applicable)

Organized Camps are fee exempt. 

Temporary Camps with 100 or more campers, operating more than forty-eight (48) consecutive hours and less than thirteen (13) consecutive days, please refer to our Environmental Health Permit Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

Await Approval From Inspector

The health inspector will review your completed application and sign off when approved. The inspector reviewing the application will contact you with any additional information that may be required, revisions needed, or when your application is approved.

Request an inspection

Contact us if you have any questions or to schedule an inspection of the Organized or Temporary Camp prior to beginning operation

Await Inspector Approval to Begin Operation

It is unlawful to begin operation of a new Organized or Temporary Camp without first receiving approval from an inspector in addition to a valid Health Permit to Operate.

The inspector will grant approval to begin operation upon completion of an initial inspection.

Who can use this service?

This service is available to all businesses wishing to obtain an initial permit or renew a permit for an Organized Camp within the County of San Luis Obispo.

Is there a charge for this service?

Organized Camps are required to maintain an annual permit to operate and are fee exempt. 

Temporary Camps with 100 or more campers, operating more than forty-eight (48) consecutive hours and less than thirteen (13) consecutive days, please refer to our Fee Schedule or contact our office at (805) 781-5544.

When and where is this service offered?

This service is available throughout the year during regular business hours except during scheduled holidays.

Please visit us, email us, contact us, or call our office to begin the process.

Location, directions and hours of operation

Click on location name to show hours of operation, directions and phone information

Environmental Health Services Supervisors

Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. 

Cindy Rattigan

(805) 781-5544 

[email protected]

Jeremiah Damery

(805) 781-5548 

[email protected]

  • Beach Water Quality
  • Cross-Connection
  • Land Use
  • Small Public Water Systems
  • Water Well programs
  • Vector programs

Leslie Terry

(805) 781-5553  

[email protected]

  • Body Art
  • Food Safety
  • Public Swimming Pools and Spa Pools

Linnea Chandler

(805) 781-4917  

[email protected]

  • Hazardous Materials (CUPA) programs