Pollution Prevention and Response

What is the process?

Report Pollution to the County

There are many different types of spills or discharges that can pollute the environment or create a health or safety hazard. To make a determination about reporting a spill or discharge, please review the overview on types of spills and reporting procedures.

Provide Specific Information, If Possible

The County strives to provide appropriately trained staff to reports of pollution as quickly as possible.  When reporting a spill or pollution, providing key information can help get the right staff to the scene.

Where?  Provide a complete address (if possible) and describe the location (The location of the spill could be ‘in the street’ or ‘on the road shoulder’ or ‘into a storm drain on the southbound side’).

When? Is the report for an actively occurring event or for something that has already taken place? 

What? What do you know about the polluting materials? Please tell us if you know or suspect the material is hazardous and poses an immediate threat to health and safety.

Who? Please provide your contact information so we can make sure your concerns were addressed. The County of San Luis Obispo protects the anonymity of reporting parties and will not disclose the name or contact information for reporting parties.

Who can use this service?

This service is provided to all residents and visitors to San Luis Obispo County.

Is there a charge for this service?

There is no charge for reporting pollution or spills to the County. In some cases, the County may recover a portion of the costs associated with pollution response and cleanup through fines or penalties.

When and where is this service offered?

County of San Luis Obispo Staff will respond to reports of spills or pollution anywhere within the limits of the County. Pollution Prevention and Response is a service offered collaboratively by several County Departments.Pollution Reports can be made 24 hours a day, either via phone or through online report submission. 

Reports made during business hours are directed to Environmental Health at (805) 781-5544 or by using the Online Reporting Form.

Reports made after business hours are directed to Sheriff's Dispatch at (805) 781-4550.

Frequently Asked Questions

Environmental Health Services Supervisors

Environmental Health Services is open Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. 

Cindy Rattigan

(805) 781-5544 

[email protected]

Jeremiah Damery

(805) 781-5548 

[email protected]

  • Beach Water Quality
  • Cross-Connection
  • Land Use
  • Small Public Water Systems
  • Water Well programs
  • Vector programs

Leslie Terry

(805) 781-5553  

[email protected]

  • Body Art
  • Food Safety
  • Public Swimming Pools and Spa Pools

Linnea Chandler

(805) 781-4917  

[email protected]

  • Hazardous Materials (CUPA) programs